Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question about check valves and fuel cut defenders
Ruby
Junior TO Member

Mood: If I could weld

[*] posted on 23-9-2003 at 11:58 AM
question about check valves and fuel cut defenders

ok, If I'm boosting my engine.....in order to cheat the ECU into not seeing boost, do I just use check valves, an FCD or both? The reason I ask is because I will need to know for later on. For the moment I'm just shooting for 6 psi.

If you\'re not under the hood is not call tuning....

1992 Tercel
13-Gochi
Junior TO Member

Mood: rollin' in a Dub

[*] posted on 23-9-2003 at 02:35 PM

its either or.

1994 Tercel \"Naomi\" R.I.P.
2001 Jetta 1.8T \"Beatrix\"
Ruby
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 23-9-2003 at 06:54 PM
break it down even further

please elaborate bro

1992 Tercel
TurboTercel1992
όber TO Member

Mood: Horrid

[*] posted on 23-9-2003 at 07:22 PM

Check Valve = Bad
If you are going to run boost without letting the ECM see it..most likely because it has no idea what to do with it.....you neeeeed a way to increase fuel or kaboom.

TAVO is a thief. Drugs are bad, mmmkay.
Apparently, my signature offended the admins.
Truth hurts.
jaime
Junior TO Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-9-2003 at 07:52 PM

check valve is fine actually, just upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, the fcd is just so you can run higher psi.. it doesnt trick the ecu.. but the check valve does.. you can pick them up a a pet store for like 3 bucks.. there called one way valves for fish tanks..

boost is fun
Ruby
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 23-9-2003 at 09:00 PM
ok I see

for fuel control I have the S-AFC, larger injectors 310cc, paxton FPR, 255 lph fuel pump, for timming I have the MSD 6BTM. I have bought all this before I even got the motor and been using the S-AFC and the MSD on the 3e. I wish the greddy e-manage would have been around when I got these items but at the moment I'm gonna have to work with what I have. I want to run 6psi to start but my goal is at least 11-12 psi since this is what I spent so much time building this engine for. the pistons alone when I requested them I ask for pistons that could hold 20 so they are heavier than usual. the weakest link in my engine right know is the crank followed by the valve train since the crank is stock and the valves and springs although new and OEM from toyota I know they cannot handle the beating. Is a work in progress guys....a work in progess. I got the check valves already but I'm now trying to make sence of it all, so that I can choose the best way to do things......I see pictures of check valves and it gives me the shytes, make me think of seafood and tums. This is a daily driver, a sleeper so performance as well as reliability is premium. But I really appreciate the input fellas, I really do keep it coming so that I can finish this and post pictures and maybe a video.......during the day.....lol

[Edited on 24-9-2003 by Ruby]

1992 Tercel
guido_kp
Junior TO Member

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 23-9-2003 at 11:25 PM

what these guys have said is correct. the FCD is only to run more boost than stock. i dont know if it would even be of use on a originally NA car, since it shouldnt be seeing positive pressure anyway???. the check valves are going to need to go between the MAP sensor, and its source of vacuum. the check valve, or one way valve lets air only flow in one direction. take one, and blow on it, then suck on it, so you see what it does. you take the valves and "T" them in between the MAP and the vacuum source. so when there is vacuum, the valves are closed, no air gets in thru the free end of the valve and the MAP senses like normal. when positive mani pressure is present, the valve vents the pressurized air before the charge air reaches the MAP sensor, so the MAP never sees boost this way. make sense? i will send you some detailed pix to your email too Ruby.
also, is your MAP sensor a 3E part or a 5E part? i dont know if it will make a diff but you should check.
the safc with bigger injectors and the btm will be a good start. the prob is that you have to lower the pulse of the larger injectors (by decreasing the "%") to get the car to idle, and for part throttle non boost driving. the prob is that by decreasing the MAP voltage, you increase timing. the seeking ecu bases fuel and timing on a scale of MAP volt vs RPM. so if less MAP voltage is present (from scaling back the SAFC), the ecu advances the timing for cleaner emission. conversely if the MAP voltage is higher (from scaling up the SAFC) the ecu retards the timing for safety. make sense? so you need to use the MSD BTM to take out some timing part throttle IF you have to turn the SAFC down really low to get idle/part throttle driveability. you still with me? i had an SAFC too but have graduated to the eManage with all harnesses, and an MSD DIS2. the ease of tuning the eManage makes it a very attractive step-up to the SAFC.
13-Gochi
Junior TO Member

Mood: rollin' in a Dub

[*] posted on 24-9-2003 at 09:42 AM

BYP should have two busted 4EFTE's there, call them and ask Trevor if the cranks are any good. number is 305-249-4979

1994 Tercel \"Naomi\" R.I.P.
2001 Jetta 1.8T \"Beatrix\"

Go To Top