Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3AC Cylinder head bolts - reusable?
shaydetree
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 29-1-2019 at 01:55 PM
3AC Cylinder head bolts - reusable?

I'm doing valve work on my 86 Tercel & I can't find information on whether the head bolts are reusable or torque-to-yield. Any info would really help from others who've done one of these heads. Thanx in advance!
shaydetree
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 9-2-2019 at 03:39 PM

Hmmm... looking like this is gonna be wunna those gray areas where one learns as one goes. Monday's my go day - quess I'll keep my fingers crossed & torque gently in small increments, bearing in mind not to go for torque angles as the bolts would've already been stretched. Nothing about TTYs or torque angles in either the chilton's or haynes manuals, & that'd be one hell of an over sight for both to miss. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
Slimdude85
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 04:39 PM

They're reusable. No worries. Another Tercel forum has members that have changed head gaskets multiple times on the same engine with no ill effects from using the same head bolts. I reused the head bolts on my '81 3AC. And it had had a head replacement at some point in it's past. No probs here either. Reuse to your hearts content. They do recommend re-torquing the bolts after 100 miles or so. The bolts will back out in some cases. I'm a member there as well. If ya wanna check it out, it's http://www.tercel4wd.com.
shaydetree
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 05:42 PM

Thanks. When I pulled the head & looked at the bolts & checked the torque specs (43 ft lbs!) I realized I'd worried for naught. Pulled the head, & as i thought, #4 popped an exh. I noticed #1 & #2 were also headed the same way. Gotta rejet the secondary or I'm gonna be right back to doing this again. Lotta my vac lines had hardened & the advance diaphragms in my distributor were fried , so I saved a ton of vacuum there, # I dropped a heat range on the plugs on reassembly, but still don't wanna take any chances. Better a tiny hit in the wallet on fuel cost than dealing with this.
shaydetree
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 05:48 PM

Also gotta say the timing belt was an especially easy reinstall. Crank pulley marker could be maybe a bit more obvious, but the arrow & sighting hole setup on head & cam cog - simply brilliant, utterly foolproof. :2thumbsup:
Slimdude85
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 15-2-2019 at 04:25 PM

I rebuilt mine and got a rebuilt head as well, so I just went factory on the plugs. I have to agree that the timing belt was easy. Always keep an eye on your temp gauge. These little engines like to blow head gaskets between cyls. 1 &2. Looks like this: (I can't take credit for this picture. Petros at that other forum has quite the tutorial on head gasket replacement on these engines. This came from that thread).

11-2010386.jpg - 62kB

Go To Top