Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Deluxe" Paseo Cluster Swap
JonTercel
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 12:48 PM
"Deluxe" Paseo Cluster Swap

I've been fiddling with the old Terky. I've had this car for 15 years now and it just won't quit.

Anyway, in December I wound up doing a coolant change, and I figured for a 20 year old car, I may as well swap out the pump and hoses (don't get me started on how much of a pain that was...). While I was there, I thought, well, I have this spare (digital) water temperature gauge. May as well install it. Took off the water neck, drilled and tapped the hole, and voila. Actually there is a beautiful spot for the sensor on the rad-side of the water neck. But I digress.

My dash was getting cluttered. I have a tach, a voltmeter, fuel pressure (because of concerns a couple of years ago about the fuel pump), oil temperature and pressure, and a MPGuino. Too busy!

So, it turns out last weekend had a sale at Pick n Pull. And lo and behold, they had a 1997 Paseo. Woot! I grabbed the cluster for $24.

Then I thought, well, I wonder if the digital readout could be put in the cluster itself. There's room for it. I disassembled the gauge, and yes, I could shoehorn the display in there, if I rewired the LCD readout from the "brains" of the gauge. And my voltmeter was similar, in that it was just a small circuit board attached to the LCD display.

Then I started hacking away. Here are the pictures I could be bothered to take (Unfortunately the pictures don't exactly do it justice but it at least gives an idea):

https://imgur.com/gallery/En6WqZf

I was lucky that my Tercel was pre-wired for the tach cluster (the tach wire was already in the right spot, and there were two temp leads, so I'm guessing by 1999 they were offering a Tercel with a tach setup).

It works quite well actually. And now I'm back down to a nice clean(er) dash.

And incidentally, the water pump that came out was basically mint. Amazing, after 20 years and 340,000 km.

[Edited on 25-1-2019 by JonTercel]
Daox
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 29-1-2019 at 09:00 AM

Looks pretty nice.

Does it automatically dim when you turn your headlights on? I've used voltmeters before, but they don't do this and I find it annoying to drive at night.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
JonTercel
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 30-1-2019 at 11:03 PM

The voltmeter isn't bad at all at night.

The blue temp readout is fairly bright. I've considered wiring a transistor to the headlight wiring or something similar. I'm pretty sure I can't control brightness by just playing with resistors in line with the LED display itself though - there may be something on the LED controller chip which would control brightness - but the chip is unmarked (!) on the circuit board.

If all else fails I can wire a switch in series with the power lead to turn it off if/when it gets annoying.

Really though its not annoying until you're driving in the country or on an unlit road somewhere. Which I found out last weekend during a 3 hour drive.

[Edited on 31-1-2019 by JonTercel]

Go To Top