Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Engine Rebuild, Oil in Coolant
CRTercelMan
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 06:17 PM
Engine Rebuild, Oil in Coolant

Hello all! So here is my problem.
(96 Tercel 5E)
The other day my thermostat went bad and my engine overheated, causing the head gasket to blow, (engine ran fine but coolant would drain into the cyinders until there was no more coolant so the engine would overheat again). When I took the engine apart I found that there was a lot of wear in the cylinders, so I took the engine out and sent the block and the head to get machined.. (VERY worn.. the cylinders were STD and it had to be bored to 1.00 straightaway) I got the parts back the other day and put it all together,, very pleased with the rebuild and getting my engine back to almost-new condition.. so day before yesterday I start it up for the first time,, and before it even reached operating temperature I start noticing white bubbles in the radiator,, they kept on coming and coming,, I had cleaned out the whole block and cylinder head with diesel to remove any grit the machine shop had missed, so at first I thought it was diesel residue that I hadn't blown out of the cooling system.. but the more I ran the engine the more I realized it was oil. The oil in the dipstick and oil cap is clear and has no coolant in it.. I drove to town to try it out and see how it acted,, and the coolant level was fine when I got back,, the car runs perfectly... At this point I am ready to take the head off again and see what I can find, since it is 99.9% sure that its a problem with the head gasket. It is beyond my understanding what may have gone wrong, as it is a basically straightforward job.. All the seals and gaskets are new, I torqued it according to the manual, I didn't change the bolts that hold the head on.... Anybody with any ideas? I am pretty sure its a problem with the head gasket, but before taking apart I thought I'd ask for sure if there is any other way oil could be getting into the coolant,, According to me the gasket is the only way for this to happen unless there is a crack somewhere,, but that is not very likely since the engine wasn't doing this even after the gasket blew the first time.. and they should have caught any cracks in the shop... Any hoses, seals, anything I could have missed or put on wrong (aside from the head gasket)
Any help would be appreciated..
My apologies for any strange words or phrases I may use,, even if I grew up talking and studying in english.. I do have a lot of spanish influence..
Regards,
Claudio

1996 Tercel 2Door STD
CRTercelMan
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 06:21 PM

I forgot to add, this is a Manual transmission so there is no oil cooler in the radiator...

1996 Tercel 2Door STD
91Terc
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 05:08 AM

Did you have the cylinder head water jack check for leaks? If so Did you clean out the radiator for oil residue that might have got into it.
GreenTurdcel
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 11:33 PM

I recently did basically the same things. I had the head decked but nothing else since it only has 130,000 miles on it. No issues after putting it all back together.

I wonder if your machine shop missed a crack somewhere?
Get a Cylinder leak down test kit from Autozone Loan a tool and check for leaks.

Was the cylinder head gasket that blew fiber or steel? I used the flat all steel wafered head gasket because I think they hold up better.

Redoing jobs like that is a beeotch. I don't envy you.

Go To Top