Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 97 Tercel MAF or MAP?
Jackofalltrades1980
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 01:29 AM
97 Tercel MAF or MAP?

Hello all, I'm new to this site, just picked up a 97 tercel that has an issue where it starts and idles (rough) but upon depressing the accelerator the engine will stall out. Ran scanner and a some codes came up, I don't have the numbers written down but one of them implied a possible mass air flow sensor issue, among others. I'll be re-scanning the car again upon retrieving it from seller, but main question is does this car have a mass air flow sensoror map sensor or both? Looking at autozone and other suppliers brings up no results for an actual sensor but does show an adapter plate for maf's. So I'm confused about the sensor situation on this car, any input would be appreciated.
AstroVannin
όber TO Member

Mood: SOHC or GTFO

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 04:46 PM

MAP

Check for vacuum leaks

Originally posted by ugabuga
oh my goodness. how much did u spend on all of this? $10? lol

Originally posted by mulberry
the intercooler piping on this car is another reason why no one in the import scene will ever take us Ter/Seo owners seriously, and it looks like crap

Originally posted by willtotheumm
Astro is the ghetto king
AstroVannin
όber TO Member

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 04:47 PM

MAP

Check for vacuum leaks

the intercooler piping on this car is another reason why no one in the import scene will ever take us Ter/Seo owners seriously, and it looks like crap

Astro is the ghetto king
Jackofalltrades1980
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 05:33 PM

Alright, I'll be checking that out
AstroVannin
όber TO Member

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 07:39 PM

If you have access to a real diagnostic scan tool, bring up the data streams for the MAP and TPS

A scan tool is more than just reading codes

Astro is the ghetto king
Jackofalltrades1980
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 10:56 PM

Unfortunately all I have is a small cheap plug in scan tool, but after some more troubleshooting I'm leaning towards the TPS, the engine responds the same way whether the TPS is plugged or unplugged. If I unplug the MAP (some cars jump into a limp mode and still run fair) the engine will stall and not start back up. I was told by my buddy that the TPS would cause the same symptoms. I did reset the codes to see if while running I can re-trigger any new codes while it runs (idles), hadn't triggered anything yet, not sure how long it has to idle or if it has to actually be driven before new codes are generated. I just wanna be sure of whats going on and not find myself throwing money into a fishing expedition for the right cause of the problems.
AstroVannin
όber TO Member

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 08:51 PM

Yeah, but you still don't know if you have a tps problem or a Tps communication problem. If you could read the live data you could jump another signal to the signal wire you could identify whether it was the wiring or the sensor.

Astro is the ghetto king
91Terc
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 05:17 AM

Go to Oreily's and barrow their scanner it has the live data set. if you have 90$ go to Harberfreight and buy one for yourself. the 97 is still a MAP and that wont creat this problem. check that your intake iar temp sensor has not fallen out of the intake housing. that can creat a stumble.
Jackofalltrades1980
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 12:47 PM

The IAT is in good, it almost seems like the ecu is shutting off the fuel injectors after I try to rev the engine. Sometimes I can rev the engine up a ways before it stalls, sometimes it won't rev over idle, sometimes it'll rev up then stall upon returning to idle. Sometimes the idle will be a bit rough, sometimes smooth. Nothing consistent at all, other than the idea it won't rev up and down like normal. What would I be looking for with a live feed scanner that would help solve this problem?

Go To Top