Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RPM drops off when put into gear (4E-FTE with A242E automatic)
GuidoAnchovy
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 15-8-2017 at 06:49 PM
RPM drops off when put into gear (4E-FTE with A242E automatic)

I am currently in the middle of swapping a 1996 4E-FTE (with an A242E automatic) out of an EP91 Glanza into a 1988 Tercel. I have the car running and idling. Initially I had a problem with the IAC Valve and not idling up, but I replaced the IAC Valve and now it idles up properly during a cold start and slows down as it warms up.

Anyway, I have a weird RPM drop issue when you put the car into gear.

If you start the car and then put it from park or neutral and into either reverse or drive (or even 2 and L) the car will die immediately. If you idle up the engine with the gas pedal before dropping into a gear then the RPMs will drop to nearly nothing and it’ll recover about a half second later and idle fine. I can then drive the car as normal. However if I come to a stop and switch to reverse (or drive if I’m already in reverse), it dies unless I idle it up first.

I’ve tried idling up the car with the set screw on top of the throttle body to as high as 850RPM (in gear), but the RPMs still drop off when you switch from forward to reverse or vice versa unless you blip the throttle first.

I have even put the car on jackstands and tried putting it in gear and it behaves the same.

Currently the car has no air filter on the intake hose or exhaust past the flex pipe below the engine.

The MAP sensor I’m using is one from a Supra: 89421-12111

Is there something I’m missing? I’m kinda at a loss at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
mulberry
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2017 at 05:30 PM

Did you check the adjustment of the TPS? If you did and it does not make a difference you will need to double check the wiring
GuidoAnchovy
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 16-8-2017 at 07:20 PM

I did check that today with a multimeter and feeler gauge. Seems to be within spec.

Side question, but is the thing on the underside of the throttle body related to the IAC Valve? If so, I may want to order a gasket and take it off and clean it as well. The IAC Valve that I replaced was on the opposite end of the intake and looked like this:

mulberry
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2017 at 05:41 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-98-99-Paseo-Tercel-1-5L-Idle-Speed-Air-C...

you need to ensure that it is clean
GuidoAnchovy
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 18-8-2017 at 07:37 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I found the source of the problem. I had the NSW and STA wires crossed on the transmission harness. Whoops!

The harness was cut when I got it at both the transmission area and the place where it goes through the firewall near the Starlet gauge cluster. The STA and NSW wires are Red-White and Red and I had them mixed up. So when you said to check the wiring you were right!

I went ahead and pulled the throttle body off and thoroughly cleaned it (it was badly carboned up).

Maybe now I can start test driving it and get the kinks worked out. Thanks again!

Go To Top