Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First "race" in the 4E-FTE Tercel and one upgrade question
AlbertaBeef
Junior TO Member

Mood: Time for upgrades!

[*] posted on 29-7-2017 at 01:01 AM
First "race" in the 4E-FTE Tercel and one upgrade question

So ... Tonight my son and I put a new boost controller and gauge in our 4E-FTE Tercel...
Adjusted the boost controller until we got it to roughly 11-11.5 psi... :bananarock:

Then we went out to a quiet road ... Him in the Tercel, me in my Avalon. My Avalon is heavy, but it's no slouch pulling about 6.5sec 0-60 times, and sub-15 for the 1/4 ...

I got a slight jump on him, and so I figured I had him. I was pretty sure my nearly double his HP/Torque was too much for his car ...

Then his boost kicked in. . . And yup, he actually went past me... with a shit-eating grin on his face. So it seems we have a reasonably fast little automobile here, and I've possibly created a monster. :oops:

So the plan is that he's saving some money for upgrades (as the car has been passed down to him) and I'll help him with the project finances a little, doing things in baby-steps.

Going to add/do asap:
  • FPR (Good quality with a gauge, but it must be either red or black, I'm told. :screwy:)
  • Oil filter relocation kit and oil pressure gauge.
  • Gut the catalytic converter (free power!)

...then slowly add (as budget allows) the following:
  • FMIC, piping. (Son wants a black FMIC, so it's a little stealthier from the front). With the top-mount off we'll clean up the engine a bit, the plan is to do a nice black enamel on the rocker cover.
  • Civic Aluminum Radiator, Water Temp gauge, black sensor pipe and new rad hoses (in red).
  • Full Hose replacement, in Red. (If you're wondering about the red ... the wiring harness and spark plug wires are already red, and my son likes the color with various black accents.)

After that, it's going to be a new tubular manifold with an external wastegate, proper decat downpipe and likely a new turbo - but we haven't decided which yet. Can't really order a manifold/downpipe until we know which turbo ...

We do like the early/quick spool of the CT9 ... so don't want something huge ... but we do want to see somewhere in the neighborhood of 215-225 HP. Anybody have opinions on what's the best turbo to use with 4E-FTE to have as little lag as possible and pull hard ... that'll see that HP range?

Having a great time, BTW ... Thanks to everyone on this site!!!
Italianjoe1
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 29-7-2017 at 06:30 PM

TD04L, plenty of write ups on here.

My tercel with a 5e and that turbo is somewhere in the mid 200s, it's quite fast, I've beat a LOT of cars, modded GTIs, even a C5 corvette that belongs to a friend. Whole different animal with a bigger turbo on 20 psi.
mulberry
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2017 at 06:49 PM

Aeromotive 13129 adjustable FPR it is in black. You can get a gauge kit and AN-6 lines from eBay as well as a fuel rail adaptor to fit the Toyota fuel rail.
Oil filter relocator kit (universal) from either eBay or Summit Racing for 41-45.00 bucks. Waste of time to gut the cat just cut it off and replace it with a regular pipe if you require a cat for emissions buy a freeflow cat from Magnaflow and fit it under the car. Black FMIC kit is available on eBay for the EP82/EP91 Starlet with piping/clamps/couplers for USD 200+ or a universal 2.5 inch kit for USD 138.00+ Black and red silicone rad hoses are also on eBay. For your 215HP goal you will need a new exhaust manifold and at least a TD04L from a WRX plus at least a set of 330cc injectors. You will also need at least the eManage Blue to intercept and modify the fuel and ignition curves from the OEM 4EFTE ECU unless you already have a stand alone ECU because right now the car will soon hit fuel cut unless the OEM ECU was chipped.
AlbertaBeef
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 30-7-2017 at 03:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Italianjoe1  
TD04L, plenty of write ups on here.

My tercel with a 5e and that turbo is somewhere in the mid 200s, it's quite fast, I've beat a LOT of cars, modded GTIs, even a C5 corvette that belongs to a friend. Whole different animal with a bigger turbo on 20 psi.

Thanks, that's kinda what we were leaning toward, but wanted to be sure.

Quote: Originally posted by mulberry  
Aeromotive 13129 adjustable FPR it is in black. You can get a gauge kit and AN-6 lines from eBay as well as a fuel rail adaptor to fit the Toyota fuel rail.
Oil filter relocator kit (universal) from either eBay or Summit Racing for 41-45.00 bucks. Waste of time to gut the cat just cut it off and replace it with a regular pipe if you require a cat for emissions buy a freeflow cat from Magnaflow and fit it under the car. Black FMIC kit is available on eBay for the EP82/EP91 Starlet with piping/clamps/couplers for USD 200+ or a universal 2.5 inch kit for USD 138.00+ Black and red silicone rad hoses are also on eBay. For your 215HP goal you will need a new exhaust manifold and at least a TD04L from a WRX plus at least a set of 330cc injectors. You will also need at least the eManage Blue to intercept and modify the fuel and ignition curves from the OEM 4EFTE ECU unless you already have a stand alone ECU because right now the car will soon hit fuel cut unless the OEM ECU was chipped.

Two votes for the TD04L - thank you good people!

Aeromotive 13129 it is, then. Thanks for the info on gutting the cat... I've got a tercelonline lead on a WEPR downpipe, so hoping to snatch that up, which would be lovely to start with ... And no, there are no emissions requirements in my province for a cat. The treehuggers are next door.

We get killed in Canada on FMIC shipping and duties from USA, so hoping to find something locally. Cheapest kit I can find including shipping to Canada is nearly $350C - which doesn't include duty/taxes. Which sucks huevos.

Amazingly, I just *happen* to have both a TD04L from a non-STI version of the WRX in my garage - picked it up 10 years ago for a whopping $75. Seems to be in good shape, can't detect any noticeable shaft play.

I also have some 440cc injectors that I bought a million years ago from AstroVannin (if I remember correctly). I can't do much of anything with them until I get a Walbro and an FPR though. No need for them YET of course, as the stock 295's do just fine.

I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on an e-Manage Blue then, thanks!!

Also trying to decide the best order to do everything in, considering (for budgetary reasons) it's going to be done in various steps over time - that's fun.
AlbertaBeef
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 30-7-2017 at 01:06 PM

Hmm... Found this on eBay for a reasonable price ($224C) that includes shipping to Canada:

That looks like it will fit the bill ... It's 27" x 7" x 2.5" which I believe is the most commonly recommended size... It's also in my son's preferred color scheme, LOL.

[Edited on 30-7-2017 by AlbertaBeef]
Italianjoe1
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 30-7-2017 at 04:31 PM

Looks great, I gotta get something like that in the very near future for my paseo, the stuff I had in the tercel all got crushed in the accident, so I need a new I/C and am going to replace the steel piping with aluminum to save weight.
mulberry
TO Crew

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 03:53 PM

I have n aluminum Civic radiator and fan for sale if anyone is interested
Italianjoe1
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 06:00 PM

How's the rad fit in a paseo?
mulberry
TO Crew

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Italianjoe1  
How's the rad fit in a paseo?

Just the same like the Terc you can either fab some lower brackets or pull two lower brackets off a 96? Camry at the yard the Camry brackets bolt on

Go To Top