Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 96 Paseo Project
mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 12:34 PM
96 Paseo Project

Well I guess its time to make one of these lol. I got the car back in October of 2016. Traded a beat up tool box for it so I figured what the hell. The guy I got it from threw tons of parts on it trying to figure out what was wrong with it and just finally gave up. So after a simple compression check, I found that #4 cylinder had no compression at all. The car did run at the time but had a serious miss to it. The car sat up until February of this year and I finally got around to taking the head off. Sure enough the exhaust valve on #4 cylinder was missing a chunk from it :irked:. I bought all new valves and valve seals, gasket set, new head bolts, water pump, timing belt kit, spark plugs, thermostat, you know the usual stuff to replace during a typical valve grind job. After everything was all put back together I was hoping that my work was going to be well rewarded, but things took a turn:angry:. The car started right up but had a very slight miss to it so I began checking everything from vacuum leaks to restricted exhaust. I ended up cutting the converter off to see if maybe that was the issue, but it wasnt. I figured hey, do another compression test to see whats up right? Well turns out #1 cylinder had 15psi less than the other 3. So I did a leakdown test and sure enough, the rings were the culprit:rant:

With many attempts to see if they were stuck with using seafoam, atf, diesel and kerosene to try and unstick them, the rings are just too worn out and need replacements. As of today the car still runs and I drive it here and there just to keep the fluids going but the smoke cloud that follows me, it sure is a mosquito killer :rotf: The plan is to do a total engine rebuild along with some internal upgrades. When I will get around to doing that is still up in the air as I injured myself pretty bad and am still recovering from it. I gained alot of info and knowledge from this site about these cars and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your hard efforts and help along the way!

Mike
96 paseo: A/C and P/S delete, cat delete
mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 12:37 PM

Heres some pics of the cars current state. She needs some cosmetic love as well, but that will be on down the road :naughty:

[Edited on 25-7-2017 by mjc79]

Mike
mycars12
Junior TO Member

Mood: "do it right or do it twice" –GT_REVVA

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 05:17 PM

Paseos are getting quite rare to see. Many tercs but not many paseos.
Geewhiz55
T.O. Patron

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 08:39 PM

Very nice. I have a 92 that I used for parts.
Let me know if you need any parts. It's going to the junk yard in a week or so.

Gw55

1990 2 door stock daily driver
1990 3door hatch build in progress
mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 26-7-2017 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mycars12  
Paseos are getting quite rare to see. Many tercs but not many paseos.

I agree with you there lol. This is the only one ive seen around here where i live. Theres quite a few tercels around and for sale though

Mike
mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 26-7-2017 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Geewhiz55  
Very nice. I have a 92 that I used for parts.
Let me know if you need any parts. It's going to the junk yard in a week or so.

Thanks man! As of right now I cant think of anything i need but thanks for the offer on that :2thumbsup:

Mike
mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 04:40 PM

It's been awhile since I last posted. Ran into an old work buddy last week and he told me about B12 Chemtool and said to try soaking my pistons in that. All I got to say is damn!!! that's some good shit and way better than seafoam. I did 3 piston soaks with the 1st being a hot one. As of today she has been running smooth as silk, no smoking or burning oil like crazy. Was kinda skeptical at first after using 5 cans of seafoam previously so I was like what the hell why not lol. Spent 10 bucks on 2 cans, only used 1 1/2 and put the other half in the gas tank. Best 10 bucks I ever spent on a wounded motor :smug: Figured i'd share my experience with Berryman's B12 :2thumbsup:

Mike

Go To Top