Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Should post some updates ...
AlbertaBeef
T.O. Patron

Mood: Time for upgrades!

[*] posted on 20-7-2017 at 06:02 PM
Should post some updates ...

So, after CONSIDERABLE help from various people on the forum (probably too many to name, but thanks to all of you!!!) this little beast is finally running!

Here's some past-history:

When I originally purchased it, a million years ago:

Although I'm in Canada, I bought this down in far-southern Idaho as it was what I wanted the project to start with ... clean, rust-free but with air-conditioning - because at the time I was a really fat guy and needed it!

The first step was paint (8P1 - Toyota Color):

The second step was wheels/tires:

After the wheels/tires were put on (and they're going to be upgraded in the future - the current setup is heavy - but these were too good a deal to pass on at the time) a fellow-TO'er "Wheeler" helped me get the KYB GR-2 Struts/shocks installed all the way around. Which helped the ride immensely!

Then there was about 10 years of no updates due to having a spinal injury ... But once my son was of-age and wanted to see this running, we got going again.

And now:

I don't know if you can see from the picture, but there's larger paseo rotors / calipers there installed with braided stainless-steel lines. (oooh.)

Engine Bay:

Added an e-bay strut-tower brace, which actually makes a difference. The air filter/intake is pointed down trying to get at-least some colder air. It's dirty and not overwhelmingly pretty - as finances allow, we'll be moving to a FMIC with BOV, FPR, External wastegate and boost controller - and we'll clean it up then.

Momo sweetness:

Love the steering wheel. The carbon-fiber-look shift knob is a classy touch. The color on the door handle and window handle/knob didn't turn out as hoped, but they'll be replaced with Paseo door inserts when we can.

Yes, it goes MUCH faster with the addition of blue-flame floor mats. :2thumbsup:

Working A/C:

Yeah, we might be crazy. Yes, we know it both weighs/slows it down. But it's a black interior and it was pushing 32C/90F temps last week here, amazingly enough. Albertans melt at those temps.

That's a quick update for now. I'll do a youtube video later of how it sounds - It's got a very nice (expensive) Greddy exhaust and I think it sounds amazing...
Malibuguy
TO Crew

Mood: Im back...watch the fuck out

[*] posted on 20-7-2017 at 06:20 PM

Erm...paseo door cards wont work on your car.

-Gregory...the exhaust freak & part of the TO.COM (_o_) crew ;)

-97 Whitehawk almost 300k DIS 14lbs 134/174 14.3@95 2.0 60ft. Track day beast. RIP...

-97 coral rose pearl coupe, was stock...now...not so much
mycars12
Junior TO Member

Mood: "do it right or do it twice" –GT_REVVA

[*] posted on 20-7-2017 at 06:59 PM

The car looks clean. Like greg said paseo door panels wont work
AlbertaBeef
T.O. Patron

[*] posted on 20-7-2017 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mycars12  
The car looks clean. Like greg said paseo door panels wont work

No, eh? Why did I think they did. Thought I saw that somewhere.... but, hey, I could also be completely ... :screwy:

It's surprisingly different from a regular Tercel. Seems faster than my Avalon - which moves pretty damned fast for a big family sedan - up to around 100 maybe 110km/h (60-70mph). The Avalon definitely has more highway-speed passing power though.

Today was the first day I ever actually floored it and pushed HARD on a highway on-ramp ... and holy cow, she gets up to speed well. Hits 140km/h (about 85mph) REALLY easily and is remarkably steady/firm at that speed with power to spare.

If I remember correctly, similar speeds when it was original with 155/80R 13's required a lot of road, a tailwind and you still wandered everywhere in fear for your life...

With upgraded suspension and Toyo Proxes 4 tires ... when it comes to cornering, I lose my nerve at speed before it loses grip... It's a very fun car.
Daox
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 21-7-2017 at 12:01 PM

They do work, on a 2 door, not a 4 door.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
AlbertaBeef
T.O. Patron

[*] posted on 21-7-2017 at 08:45 PM

Aaaah.... that's why I thought I read that somewhere ...

Go To Top