Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Member! 1992 Tercel & Paseo owner
MarkyMayhem
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 10:22 AM
New Member! 1992 Tercel & Paseo owner

Hello all!
So the first car I loved [although far from my first] was a 1992 Tercel 4spd I bought for $1200 from a dealer my girlfriend knew. It was after a near death wreck, and I was BROKE. 50,000 miles, and the imprint of the original window sticker was burned in to the passenger window. I put a nice ass stereo and subs in it, and drove it through another 50,000 miles [long distance relationship, and travel comedy at tiny dives] in 2 years. Then I broke my hip. Had to get an auto [I was a relatively young man at the time BTW] Sold it. From the NEWSPAPER. Yea. The newspaper. That's "the one that got away"
Been kicking myself ever since. I should have kept the beauty that never caused me a lick of trouble despite pretty obviously not having the proper oil changes done during it's first 9 or 10 years of life.... Frequent oil changes.
This was the first car I really worked on. Little stuff. I learned brakes on this car. Belt tensioners. coolant flush.
I'd had Ford, Mercury, Lincoln previously, and didn't do much but oil changes, alternators, and mechanics bills.

Anyway - my "Dream Car" of a sorts after this period was always a sweet 1992 Paseo. And when the torque converter in my 1996 Geo Metro went out, I decided I wasn't taking the motor out again, sold it and went a-looking.

I made an hour drive to check out another Geo that was very much mis-represented. I was bummed, I'd gotten a ride and everything.

Started checking craigslist for cars near me with an inspection. I see a 2 day old ad for a 1992 paseo 5spd with new paint, aftermarket tasteful rims & tires, new timing belt, rear main seal - 109,000 miles - and just one split seam on the side of the drivers seat to mar an almost immaculate interior. Armor-all. Not much sun fade on the purple & black racing type seats front and back. Good houndstooth on the doors!

Front end checked out, drove out well except for an AC squeal on sharp turns. Belt is loose. Hopefully the AC clutch is OK - it's ICE cold anyway.

So, that's it - I'm starting to get in to the tech questions! As soon as I get my pics from my phone to the computer - you'll see them!

Oh - it was teal originally. The clear was peeled pretty badly, so now it's flat white "up top" and flat-black on the bumpers, and following that height along the doors and side to the back bumper.

The lack of rust on this beaut is astounding! :clap:

-Mark

The one that got away: 1992 Tercel
My creamy new-to-me [6-2017] dream car - 1992 Paseo
MarkyMayhem
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 10:23 AM

can't edit yet - the post should read at one point - "....frequent oil changes kept those sticky oil control rings in line well enough"

The one that got away: 1992 Tercel
My creamy new-to-me [6-2017] dream car - 1992 Paseo
Daox
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 17-7-2017 at 11:21 AM

Congrats on the new ride Mark!

I was just at a friend's house last week and he has a 92 Paseo that is in pretty good shape... I told him to call me when hes ready to let it go.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
g23smith
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 10:35 PM

I love my paseo! I picked it up from someone who flipped it, and it was clearly abused... but i've cleaned it up and despite its previous neglect ive only replaced the battery and starter and its got 229,000 miles! Welcome to the site.

[Edited on 19-7-2017 by g23smith]

"I'm me, I do me, and I chill." -Kevin Durant

Go To Top