Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rough idle on cold start
mjc79
TO Newbie

icon_help.gif posted on 21-6-2017 at 10:40 AM
rough idle on cold start

Whats up everyone! After replacing the head gasket a few months ago i have been having issues with cold start idling. The car runs rough and misses on #1 cylinder. I have tried about everything i can think of to try and fix the issue but nothing works. I have tested every sensor and valve and they are all good. Both coils test good, wires test good, spark plugs are good. It also has new oem reman injectors. Iac valve and egr valve were removed and thoroughly cleaned as well as the egr pipe prior to first start when i replaced the head gasket. All vacuum lines and hoses are routed properly and working. Fuel pump and regulator are working fine. All new filters including a new pcv valve and grommet. I ran a compression test after i drove the car for quite a while and all 4 had 200-205 psi. But the kicker is when i do the compression test when its cold, #1 is always 25-30psi lower than the other 3. I have tried marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and let it soak for 2 days on 2 different occasions. I also put some of the marvel oil in the crankcase and in the gas tank. Just last weekend i seafoamed the cylinders and also the intake tract. Car ran great and idled great until the next day on the first cold start and started to repeat its rough idle for about 5 minutes. One thing that puzzles me is that when i very first start it up on a cold start and then go drive it, once you hit about 4k or 4500 rpms its like it hits a shot of nitrous and comes alive. It only does that once though and not any other times. im not sure if the rings are bad or what but its very annoying lol. Does anyone have an idea on what may be going on here? I also swapped out the ecm thinking it may of been that but nothing changed. The catalytic converter has also been removed as well. The check engine light did come on and the only codes it gave me was a P0301 for cylinder 1 misfire, P0325 Knock sensor bank 1 and P1300 (this one im not sure about, says something about ignitor circuit, but it has coil packs?) Since i reset the codes the light has stayed off the past 3 days but still does its rough cold idle start and the 4k rpm boost until warmed up :screwy:

96 paseo: bone stock
mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 23-6-2017 at 11:57 AM

Well i went to go get dog food earlier and the cel light came on. Got home and it is the P0401 code for the egr system. Not sure what else it can be since everything is working and tested fine. I know the connection back by the muffler leaks a little bit but i wouldnt think it would throw a code and cause it to idle rough on cold start. I did notice when i started it today it didnt idle as rough as before but it still took it to get pass 4k rpm to uncork whatever it is lol. It does blow oil smoke out the tail pipe once you get it past 4k rpm.

mycars12
Junior TO Member

Mood: "do it right or do it twice" –GT_REVVA

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 04:24 AM

You check for vacuum leaks?
mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 01:19 PM

Yep that was the first thing i checked for on the first startup from replacing the head gasket and there is no vacuum leaks. I have come to the conclusion that the rings are just gummed up and wore out with #1 piston being the worst one.

mjc79
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 06:00 PM

Here is a video i took of the crankcase pressure thats built up from the bad rings. You can tell by the oil fill cap dancing around its got way too much pressure lol. Cylinder 4 is starting to get a little weaker also. Guess its time to do a full rebuild :irked:

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/20170624_173446.mp4

[Edited on 24-6-2017 by mjc79]

Go To Top