Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Tercel, Got some Problems (oil, coolant, etc)
justgettingby
TO Newbie

icon_help.gif posted on 18-6-2017 at 01:53 AM
New Tercel, Got some Problems (oil, coolant, etc)

Got a good deal on a 97 Tercel 5 speed. Only catch being there appears to be a massive leak of some kind. Car runs fine and does not overheat, but oil dipstick is dry and coolant is drained from reservoir and looks dirty. Not sure where to start? Thought about doing a coolant flush as I want to replace the orange with regular green coolant anyway. Can't decide if putting dye in the oil would even help if the leak is as awful as it looks. No foam under the oil cap but maybe check head gasket anyway? Not going to drive it again until I figure it out. :dunno:

To sum up:

-Coolant in radiator= low but covering all parts and okay in color.
-Coolant in reservoir= bottom of the barrel and rusty
- Oil dipstick= oil when pulling out but after wiping off and inserting again, dry as a bone
- Oil cap= no foam or rust, oil a bit dark but not crazy, metal stained.
- Leak around passenger side of engine, seems to be located near the oil filter and has saturated the car's under panel (that thing that looks like the same material as a fast food cup holder).
- Leak on what I think is the pcv valve to upper intake hose where it is attached to the air intake hose, the side connected to the engine looks fine.

Ideas??

[Edited on 18-6-2017 by justgettingby]

[Edited on 18-6-2017 by justgettingby]
Daox
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 01:59 PM

I'd clean up the engine, then fill up the fluids and see where it comes out. If need be, fire up the engine.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
justgettingby
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 10:30 PM

Sounds like a reasonable place to start. Thanks!
GreenTurdcel
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 09:14 PM

Just finished major work on my 1996. Replaced all the valve stem seals, gaskets, headgasket, cam seals, crank seal etc. LOTS of places for oil leaks to develop in these motors. Kinda surprised. Examples?

1). Oil pan. They used a sealant to seal it and that stuff eventually hardens and gaps develop...then oil can leak. The front crankshaft seal is down at the bottom. Mine was leaking. The cam seals can leak. If it's leaking around the oil filter then maybe the seal on the oil filter did not seal completely.

If the PCV valve is clogged you'll get excessive crankcase pressure which can force oil out of odd places.

If the car has been driven for a long time with cheap gas and poor maintenance (not enough oil changes) then the ring lands can become clogged and the oil scraper bypass holes in the piston can get clogged.
That would force the oil up into the combustion chamber...but you'd be getting a lot of smoke.

Change the oil to a good detergent oil such as Castrol GTX and add 6 oz of Seafoam directly into the oil. Yes...you can do that. You can also add about 7 oz to the fuel but be advised, it'll smoke.

Check the compression on each cylinder. Mine were ALL around 210 psi per cylinder. Finally, Autozone has a kit that connects to your radiator and uses an emmissions sensitive blue liquid to detect if there's a head gasket leak. Pretty cool tool. Free loaner from AutoZone, you just have to leave a deposit unti you return it.

The advice to clean up the motor is solid. Clean it thoroughly with Purple Power or equivalent then look for the leaks. If necessary, there is a fluorescent dye additive you can add to oil to see the leaks with a UV light at night when it's dark.

That's all I have for now. Keep us posted.

[Edited on 22-6-2017 by GreenTurdcel]

Go To Top