Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tercel wont stop running hot/overheating
Uriah
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 24-9-2016 at 01:23 PM
Tercel wont stop running hot/overheating

Hello,
My 94 Tercel ran great until recently. From the beginning of woes: A rat chewed the radiator cooling fan wire partially through and shorted the motor. I was a long way from home and had to drive it so I just kept water in the car and as long as I stayed at highway speeds car stayed slightly below half on the temp gauge. This car usually has the needle at 1/3 or less even if towing in heat. When i got into town the car almost over heated, never red lined but came close. I replaced the cooling fan cause the motor wouldn't start anymore even when direct plugged to a battery. Fan still wouldn't start consistently, often waiting until the car was almost overheated to even turn on and then it would never turn to high. I replaced the fan controller, the relay and the temp sending unit. Sometime during this I had the car red line once. Then the radiator cracked so i replaced that too, along with the lines and the thermostat. Last of all I replaced the water pump and belt. As of right now the car runs below half if I have the heater and a/c on, over heats if I don't have them on. I am not sure what to do. I can't think of anything else to replace. Any ideas? thanks :)
Geewhiz55
T.O. Patron

[*] posted on 24-9-2016 at 06:16 PM

Uriah,
could be a bad head gasket?
:dunno:

Gw55

1990 2 door stock daily driver
1990 3door hatch build in progress
Uriah
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 24-9-2016 at 06:22 PM

That is what I keep coming to, oh I so don't want it to be that. The car is only worth about $500, we rebuilt the engine 50k miles ago, $1100 that time, I don't know if it would be worth it to do it again...
Italianjoe1
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 25-9-2016 at 01:10 AM

Start by figuring out why the fans aren't coming on. There should be two, one for the radiator, and one for the A/C. It sounds as if your radiator fan low speed relay is out, and it's only coming on at high speed. When you run the a/c it forces the other fan on and helps out.

Check for activity at both relays. This car has a switched ground system, so normally there is power all pins of the relay, the control just supplies ground and it closes the circuit. Little weird if you haven't dealt with it before and don't have a good wiring diagram but it's do-able.
terceleeper
Junior TO Member

Mood: TERCEL ON KYB'S IS AMAZING

[*] posted on 25-9-2016 at 03:55 PM

also if youve ever run regular tap water in the radiator check for calcium buildup, that was causing my car to run hot before i replaced it. or you could try cleaning it by running the car for a week with diluted vinegar to break down the calcium buildup then flush it thoroughly 3-4 times

Go To Top