Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1994 Tercel Idle Adjustment Screw
dantheman98
TO Newbie

icon_help.gif posted on 6-7-2016 at 01:44 PM
1994 Tercel Idle Adjustment Screw

I have a 1994 Tercel. My main concern is that while on a trip my Idle adjustment screw on my throttle body fell out. It now makes the sound of a vacuum leak and runs horribly because of this. I don't feel comfortable driving it because of the open hole in my throttle body, but I have to drive to work. I can't find the screw on any online site, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do? I found this online http://www.lceperformance.com/22RE-Idle-Speed-Adjusting-Screw-Stain... But it's for a 22RE engine and I had no idea if there was any hope on that working.

My car also has a coolant leak that I plan on finding when I have time, and I have to put in at least a quart of 10w-40 per week to keep the oil from depleting. It's not leaking below the car, and there isn't a noticeable enough amount being burned to make any smoke. Does anyone have any recommendations on this? The car has 166k miles, it may have been abused by its previous owner. I was thinking that could be a bad valve or seal?
I know the catalytic converter is clogged up and I'm about to cut it out and replace it with a straight pipe. The car has horrible acceleration and sounds like a weed whacker but the sound seemed normal for a 4 cylinder. I'm thinking of replacing the stock muffler for a Thrush turbo or welded. Any thoughts on how bad that would be? I read up a lot of reviews and that seemed like a decent option. Thanks for anyone willing to help.

[Edited on 6-7-2016 by dantheman98]
alfradio
TO Patron & MVP

Mood: Indigo

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 09:14 AM

Dan,

Not too familiar with the '94 Tercel engine but IF the idle screw
is anything like the one on the 1995-98 Tercel throttle body,

...you could just plug up the hole with a rubber cork or
something like that... even taping up the hole with a good
quality DUCT TAPE (That aluminum type would be my choice...

be sure to clean around the area where the tape will be
stuck)....

The idle might be a bit hi or lo but, until you can locate an idle
screw from a junk yard, your engine will at least run smoother.

Main concern addressed!

alf :waving:

Malibuguy
TO Crew

Mood: Im back...watch the fuck out

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 10:26 PM

After just recently fiddling with Austins 3ee idle adjustment. The screw does not go into the throttle body at all. I think you may be mistaken for another component.

On a 3ee the idle set screw is on the passenger side of the throttle body and is a tiny allen screw with an 8mm jam nut. Its kind of a PITA to get to to fiddle with. Its threaded thru an 'ear' coming off the side of the throttle body casting and again has no connection to the inside so there is no way if can create a vacuum leak.

-Gregory...the exhaust freak & part of the TO.COM (_o_) crew ;)

-97 Whitehawk almost 300k DIS 14lbs 134/174 14.3@95 2.0 60ft. Track day beast. RIP...

-97 coral rose pearl coupe, was stock...now...not so much

Go To Top