Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: a242L swap
terceleeper
Junior TO Member

Mood: TERCEL ON KYB'S IS AMAZING

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 08:28 PM
a242L swap

happened into my local lkq to get a replacement door handle as these plastic ones just keep breaking and came across a 96 green 4 door tercel with a 4 speed auto w/overdrive transmission, busted my ass pulling it and the kick down cable, shifter cable and lower speedo cable.

door code says its a : A/TM -08A/A242L

Would this be a direct swap with my white 96 tercel 2 door with a 3 speed auto a132L?

does this new trans need the ecu, as i popped the glovebox and saw it was a 2 plug ecu with 4at on it.

what can i do to make sure this trans is worth cleaning in and dropping inot my car, its done 273K miles according to the Odo.

mycars12
Junior TO Member

Mood: "do it right or do it twice" –GT_REVVA

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 09:23 PM

You pretty much pulled everything that you needed
What I was missing was that rear motor mount bracket which is essential
But you should be good to go, the overdrive switch is not really needed because it stays in overdrive on or off (whatever keeps the 4 gears instead of 3 on)
You might see your mpg go down due to added weight if city driven but improved mileage on the highway
I had rigged up the bracket on my shifter cable to work, took the 3 speed one and beat it flat, D is 2, N is D, P is P, R is N lol
Also the transmission mount on the right hand side of the car is different for the 3 and 4 speed, one under battery area, tranny is a tight fit, was a :censored: to line up on a jack
a242l means mechanical OD a242e means electronic OD(paseo only)
No need for the Ecu as i got the 3speed one and runs fine

Change tranny filter, my magnets were broken in two for some reason, tranny i picked up had 90k miles too, change fluid, run for about 50-100 miles and change the fluid again and you should be good to go
terceleeper
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 10:24 PM

torque converters should be the same right?

was looking on line it looks like i was supposed to unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel first, could any harm could have come to the trans from pulling it out they way i did in the pictures?
mycars12
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 21-4-2016 at 07:58 AM

I honestly don't know what damage could have been done but I unbolted my old tq converter from the flywheel
Slimtercel
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 22-4-2016 at 07:10 AM

Good luck with the swap I like to see it when it's done.

1994 tercel 5efhe swapped
GT_Revva Poly trans and rear motor mount
MBS cold air intake
Modded obx header and MBS exhaust
15x6.5 Konig Feather
KYB gr2 struts and ebay coilovers
terceleeper
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 08:28 PM

Holy necro, well I finally swapped this thing in within 2 days. my a132l finally died but somehow it wasn't the differential that went, some bearing inside the case let go and caused chaos, ended up trashing the governor and sending pieces of transmission everywhere through the case. All that towing finally caught up...

Anyways, to clarify what's needed

A242l transmission with its kick down cable

4 speed auto shift cable, the transmission end is thicker and the bracket that holds it is thicker and in a different position.

4 speed auto speedo cable, the cable is longer though I was able to stretch my original enough to fit but it makes noise when spinning so I would recommend getting the longer one.as will i

Starter. Though the 3 speed starter will bolt up the bottom bolt is different. On a 3 speed the bell housing has two through holes for the long bolts. On the 4 speed the bottom bolt is tapped and the long bolt wont clear. I was able to use a 14mm bolt from the transmission case from the 3 speed when inspecting it to bolt through both threaded holes from the engine side.kinda janky but threads deep enough to get into the meat of the bell housing thread

Passenger axle. I dont know If it was my imagination but I felt like I had to stretch the passenger side axle more than it should but I had to re assemble its boot so yrmv.

In my case the transmission inspection plate had different bolts for the bottom 3 bolts and didn't line up, I was able to reuse one 14mm bolt and 2 10 mm bolts in a few of the places instead. I don't think those bolts are too critical as the main 4 bolts bolted directly to the block hold the most load.

As for wiring the overdrive switch, I also got the overdrive switch from the 4 speed and plan on just wiring of separate from the main wiring as my loom didn't have the provision to plu in the overdrive solenoid, but I clipped every plug for the 4 speed at the junkyard so I plan on just wiring 12v through an led on the dash to show the overdrive off. Then to the shifter button.

Also I reused my 3 speeds torque converter and it slid in and engaged properly but upon testing around 18 to 20 mph the transmission shifts into 3rd and also engages lockup around the same time I dont know if the 4 speed was supposed to have a different torque converter or not but other than that hiccup near 20 it shifts fine.

And what a difference that tall 4 speed makes, at 40mph I'm turning 16to1700 rpm, 50 at 2000, 2200 ish at 60
Based on what my torque app shows I've gained nearly 4 to 5 mph just putting around lugging the engine. More testing will be required hut with my old 3 speed I was averaging 300 miles to a tank easily in full city driving. With this I project 350 may be in reach.:pepper:

Would love for one of yall that have done this to see what I may have missed
Malibuguy
TO Crew

Mood: Im back...watch the fuck out

[*] posted on 20-1-2019 at 04:02 PM

sounds like you may have a loose adjusted TV cable. make sure its taught, it totally affects the shift logic. I had mine set up too loose, played with it and its fantastic.

I converted mine from the 3 to 4 as well.

-Gregory...the exhaust freak & part of the TO.COM (_o_) crew ;)

-97 Whitehawk almost 300k DIS 14lbs 134/174 14.3@95 2.0 60ft. Track day beast. RIP...

-97 coral rose pearl coupe (Floyd), k04 turbo, intercooled, a242L swapped, FortuneAuto coilovers, Corazda big brakes.

-96 grey coupe (Earl), 4spd manual...stoooooock
Daox
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 21-1-2019 at 04:31 PM

Nice job on the swap. Thanks for all the details too.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mycars12
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 01:29 PM

I did the 3 speed auto to 4 speed auto swap a while back. my diff ended up shredding. I did not know that it had separate fluid for the diff. It was definitely an interesting swap but the highway revs are alot lower tbh.
terceleeper
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 12:25 AM

i thought the 4 speed shares its fluid with the differential, when i was swapping it in i did not see a drain plug on the differential, though i did see a fill plug near the top, which i assumed was just for faster filling instead of through the dip stick
mycars12
Junior TO Member

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 07:38 PM

yes you are right. 3 speed is separate and the 4 speed shares the fluid with the diff.

Go To Top