Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Too cool?
The Barnstormer
TO Newbie

question.gif posted on 4-12-2015 at 11:20 PM
Too cool?

So I recently bought a 1983 5 door Tercel, really clean, rust free, nice little car. I'm thoroughly enjoying the car. I've noticed that the engine temp gauge always indicated cool, but I thought it would be just a bad gauge, until winter hit Utah and I can't really tell there's a heater. I replaced the thermostat last night (quite an easy task in these vehicles as I discovered) and test drove it. It does go up a bit more, but it's still on the cool side. Doesn't get to half of the gauge, rather it stays just under 1/8 of the gauge mark. I haven't seen the electric fan go off even once in this car. Should be something simple, but I can't think of anything. Any thoughts?
94Tercel
TO Patron

Mood: 1.5L build FTW!

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 05:35 PM

I would do a fluid flush on the radiator. You could have also had a faulty thermostat. Make sure your hoses for the heater core are not re-routed by a previous owner. If it is, it probably indicates a leak in the heater core most likely.

Good luck.

John

1994 Toyota Tercel Turbo 4 Door
1996 Paseo LeMon's Race car manual w/ 4e
2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP (DD)
1987 Buick Grand National Turbo Built 3.8 .70 Trim Turbo
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (Tow vehicle)
2008 Ford Fusion 4 Door with SYNC (Wifey's car)
2005 Dual axle flat bed trailer
2001 Lexus IS300 Automatic 4 Door *sold*
1996 Toyota Tercel Automatic 2 Door (DD) *sold*
2009 Pontiac G8 GT *sold*
The Barnstormer
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 11:16 PM

Thanks for your reply, John; I did replace the thermostat, and that helped the temp go up a bit. I'm suspecting now of either a faulty sender or a faulty gauge. I'll test those probably this weekend and report my findings here...
Italianjoe1
Junior TO Member

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 09:53 AM

Yeah i've seen senders fail on many cars. Check the actual temp with an infrared temp gun, you should see nearly 200 degrees on the cyl head once warmed up.

The only thing that can keep a car from actually warming up properly is a bad thermostat, as it allows cool coolant back in too early. Assuming you don't have a sensor issue, the replacement t-stat may be opening too soon.
The Barnstormer
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 31-1-2016 at 05:48 PM

Well, it turned out that I had bought a faulty thermostat. I replaced it again and it's warming up nicely now. It still doesn't go all the way to 50%, but it does get almost to 25%, which warms the car just fine. I guess there's little danger of the thing ever overheating :)

Go To Top