Author: Subject: Aisan carburetor
JunkmailJim
TO Newbie

Mood: perplexed

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 03:23 PM
Aisan carburetor

Hello all, great board with tons of info here-yes-

I wonder if anyone can help?

I've just used a Hygrade carburetor rebuild kit on a single barrel feedback carb (Aisan) from an /89 Tercel.

Everything went great except I was distracted when removing the main jet from carb. Instructions said to record number of turns to full out position (seated).

I wonder if anyone who has ever rebuilt one of these can remember how many turns for main jet?

TIA, Jim
BuddyJ
Junior TO Member

Mood: old school

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 03:38 PM

Sorry man. Thats a tought question. Most of us won't touch those carbs. Heck, most garages won't touch them. Good luck.
JunkmailJim
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 06:16 PM

Thanks for the response.

The rebuild kit was easy enough to apply.The hardest part (most tedious) was labeling all those vacuum lines...:o

Main jet assembly is apparently prone to dryed out and or cracked o-rings (which mine were) causing running problems.

Was a simple matter of drilling carefully through 2 plugs, one for idle mixture setting and directly below that the main jet setting.

Idle Mixture screw was 2 full turns out from all the way in (seated).

Main jet is the reverse, seated position all the way out. Setting is somewhere between 6? to 10? turns in from seated position. (friend came over just as I was backing jet out to seated position:()

Wish I had access to a Tercel shop manual...
Checked library here, no luck:(
No Toyota dealerships here either :(

Maybe someone reading will know this info.

Cheers! Jim
dogsridewith
TO Member

Mood: recumbent

[*] posted on 11-4-2003 at 12:45 PM
Good Link

http://208.181.195.106/documentation/newsletterpdfs/toyotatercel.pdf

and check for posts on "Fixing the Stock 3E Carburetor" in this section of the forum
JunkmailJim
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 11-4-2003 at 03:59 PM

Thanks dogsridewith:)

I do have that pdf, very usefull info...
(but still doesn't give me a number-no-)

Just click the "edit" button then check
! Delete this message !

Cheers! Jim

[Edited on 4/11/2003 by JunkmailJim]
JunkmailJim
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 1-5-2003 at 07:27 PM
Arrrgh....

Well I've tracked down and consulted an official Toyota shop manual for an 89 Tercel with single barrel variable venturi carburetor and it doesn't list the default setting for the main jet, only the default setting for the idle mixture is presented.

My only hope is that some other poor schmuck has applied a rebuild kit to one of these carburetors (single barrel variable venturi Aisan carburetor from 89 Tercel) and can remember how many turns in from full out (seated position) for the main jet?!%#???-puzz-

Now I cast this request into the depths of the great and venerable internet...-yes-

TIA, Jim
tsv40
TO Newbie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2003 at 05:23 PM
AISAN A-1

Hey There!
I just rebuilt my carb on a 90 tercel.
Near as I can tell the leanest position for the main jet is when it's turned all the way in (what you are calling seated).
I say this because if you screw it all the way in then the metering rod is further inside the jet and does not come out as far durring acceleration, less fuel can pass... Also while testing, it pumps out black smoke when the screw is back out and will bearly idle when turned all the way in.
Originally, mine was set approx 4 turns in, but mine fail emissions hands down and thats why I rebuilt it. I'm still tweaking it and have re-tested yet...I'll let you know the outcome.
Kwattro
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 4-9-2003 at 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JunkmailJim

Main jet assembly is apparently prone to dryed out and or cracked o-rings (which mine were) causing running problems.

What kind of running problems were you having?

As for me I've got my 89 running fairly well. However, at steady throttle cruise the car tends to buck slightly and my fuel mileage seems pretty low for what it is.

Once I have that problem solved, and put in some new valve seals I think I'll have an nice little beater :) I tell ya right now, disableing the EBCV and ASV completely changed the car, no bogs or hesitation, or stalls. Something to do if you havn't already.

Oh, and how much did your carb kit cost?

[Edited on 4-9-2003 by Kwattro]
vtecthis
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 1-10-2003 at 08:17 AM

Feedback carb right? Then there is an oxygen sensor. Hook up a milivolt multimeter to the Oxygen sensor and drive the car look for half a volt when crusing, that's a pretty darn good A/F mixture. Play around with the main screw until you achieve this reading.

Thank you for bieng a friend. Travel down the road and back again.

Go To Top