Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: '92 tercel 5efhe swap
estabon23
TO Crew

Mood: mum is the word

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 11:26 PM
'92 tercel 5efhe swap

i finally got the '92 tercel in my hands... i had some $$ troubles last month, but finished paying Justin (Todem76), & got the car delivered to a secure location where most of the work will be done. (my employer has all the tools i need, at my disposal, as long as i clean up any mess i make)
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=53325
i still need to go pick up the extra parts and get the 5efhe motor...
Justin was also the previous owner of the 20valver that is my current D/D... i wanted a 2nd tercel/paseo for a D/D while fixing the 20valver up, so this just made sense... i guess they'll both be D/D, depending on my mood, and the weather...
first up: pull the 3e motor out, clean up the engine bay to get ready for the 5efhe...
i'll be leaving the 3e trans/clutch, as i can't afford a new clutch this summer...
wire up the harness, bolt up the exhaust, etc., swap in the 3xcore radiator, relocate the battery to the trunk(?)
but most important, get it all running & registered before the snow falls...
after i drive it n/a for a while, i plan to add a TD04 turbo, 440cc injectors, FMIC, EBC@10+psi, and rebuild/swap in the 5efhe's transmission with a helical LSD, light flywheel, & better clutch... but all those mod will cost me more than i can afford right now... i need to save up $1-2k...

i'm gonna try to update this thread at least once a week with progressions... i need to do my part to make this forum more active & interesting...

i'm sorry i haven't be around much in the last few years...

nothing is true, everything is permissible...
TheExtra
TO Member

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 09:40 AM

Always love to see a 4G tercel get a better motor. Good luck on your swap.

josephflynn007
TO Crew

Mood: Most Loved & Hated

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 11:35 AM

Good luck.

1995 Tercel - 5efe/C140 bone stock. GT2560R & Haltech Elite 1000 coming soon
1996 Tercel - 5efe/CT9 = Project Parts Car
1997 Tercel - 4efte automatic = stillborn
1993 Tercel - 4efte 151 whp @ 10 psi, 14.18 @ 95 mph --- Now 1zz & C140 Hybrid
1995 Tercel - 4efte powered, 132 whp @ 8psi, 13.90 @ 98.26 mph ---RIP "Most Loved & Hated"

09 335i | 79 Malibu | 92 D21
93 Seirra | 92 Protege DX to GTX
estabon23
TO Crew

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 11:40 PM
minor update...

poking around under the hood, it's looking like a daunting task... what a mess...
yanking the radiator , etc., out tomorrow... unbolt the d/p from exhaust, drop & discard... spraying the m/m & trans bolts with PB blaster... start unplugging & marking all the vac lines & wires... my boss is not going to like the oil dripplings in the parking lot...

i found a craiglist seller nearby that has a 4efe header-style intake manifold that i'll use... i'll add 6"+ to the plenum, maybe "paint it black" like my TD04 manifold, rolling-stones style... (black manifolds matter)
i need something better than the stock 4efte t/b that i have... i want high velocity through the 4efe manifold, but i also want maximum flow...

estabon23
TO Crew

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 01:02 PM

i went to Rockford & picked up the 4efe manifold, yesterday... a little oily inside, but it'll clean up good.... seller also gave me all his leftover 1st gen paseo parts... headlights, corner lights, taillights, and a steering column w/ non-airbag wheel & intermittent switchs attached... all for $40...:pepper:
i'll post them for sale here, soon... i want to go through all my parts today to get full inventory of what to keep/use, and what to sell/givaway, asap...

the drive was fun in the 20valver, though... speed limit in WI got raised to 70mph, recently, so i was 75mph @ 4200rpms in 5th gear, most of the way... temp gauge never got over 1/3... i wish i could get a 6spd in there...

94Tercel
TO Patron

Mood: 1.5L build FTW!

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 09:39 PM

I have ALWAYS wanted to do a 6 speed since my original auto to manual swap. The ONLY viable solution, which Trev had mentioned, was from a Matrix. Re-drilling holes, etc. just like you do for the 4age trans.

I will probably end up doing something like that, just worried about putting real power down and blowing it up.

Good luck!

John

1994 Toyota Tercel Turbo 4 Door
1990 Toyota Sera. Coilovers with Greg's touches
1996 Paseo LeMon's Race car manual w/ 4e
1987 Buick Grand National Turbo Built 3.8 .70 Trim Turbo
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (Tow vehicle)
2008 Ford Fusion 4 Door with SYNC (Wifey's car)
2003 Chevy Tahoe
2009 Ford Escape (DD)
2005 Dual axle flat bed trailer
2001 Lexus IS300 Automatic 4 Door *sold*
1996 Toyota Tercel Automatic 2 Door *sold*
2009 Pontiac G8 GT *sold*
2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP *traded for Sera*
estabon23
TO Crew

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 10:35 PM

the 4efe manifold appears to be brazed at the joints, after it was spot-welded... might make modifying it harder, or easier, depending on how i do it...

estabon23
TO Crew

[*] posted on 24-9-2015 at 09:19 PM

workload has lightened, & i'm getting more free time to focus on the swap...
went through all my parts boxes, found most of what i need... still need a RRFPR, EBC, turbo oil lines, & a boost gauge... but not until i get the motor ready to go in, so not ordering anything yet... also need IC piping & clamps, but that comes after motor in, radiator in, & IC postitioned...
got the radiator & AC ripped out, all trans bolts & MM loosened, wire harness out, vac lines, etc...
tomorrow is a big day, after work @ 2pm... might work till dusk...:crossfingers:

estabon23
TO Crew

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 04:01 PM

engine is out:2thumbsup:
was going to save the power steering, but decided it takes up too much space...
only trouble i had was forgetting to unbolt a ground wire on passenger side... also spilled a little trans fluid on the ground before i could get the tray under it...
i used a forklift & chains to lift the engine out, and just before i was ready to lift it out, a freight truck pulled in...:angry::curse::rant: so i had to throw a couple cinder blocks up under the car to rest the motor on while i went to unload the fertilizer & sulfuric acid that was supposed to arrive last week...:bah:

hooked the chains back up, made a few adjustments, lifted the 3e out, dropped it onto a pallet...

now to finish pulling the 3e harness, & clean/paint the engine bay...:2thumbsup:

Tercel GTS
TO Crew

Mood: my MR2 sucks

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 05:48 PM

Keep the diesel fuel away from those 2.

スターレット
UPS Fella
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 01:08 AM

Photos or its not true! :pepper:
estabon23
TO Crew

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 11:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tercel GTS  
Keep the diesel fuel away from those 2.
when i first read that i was like WTF?, then i realized... duh... chemistry...
we'll just say that cleaning the engine bay, etc., won't be a prob...
hey, if i do a wet shot, i can port my intake, head, & exhaust without taking it apart...!:dunce:

& yeah, i need to post many pics that i haven't taken... my flipfone has a poor camera, but i'll do the best i can...
i need to finally take a "engine baying at the moon" pic for this site...

Tercel GTS
TO Crew

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 12:17 AM

Why do you still use a flip? Walmart here sells smart phones cheap as $40 and $35/month.

スターレット
estabon23
TO Crew

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 01:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tercel GTS  
Why do you still use a flip? Walmart here sells smart phones cheap as $40 and $35/month.

i'm kinda luddite... i'm not happy with this stage of digital technology, so i'm hoping to skip it/leapfrog for the next gen when i hope there will be better user control/interface/security, etc...
i know how touchscreens work, i just don't like the technology for technology's sake... these incremental improvements are so disappointingly lame...
i guess i'm not interested in upgrading my phone unless it would actually make my life better, not just another burden/distraction... i haven't seen any smartphone that has more pros than cons... i don't want to be another monkey with a digital master...
besides, i work blue collar work, and i need a phone that can take a beating...

i heard that the Iphone 8 will be available in suppository form... i can't wait...:lachen:

Tercel GTS
TO Crew

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 08:14 AM

Personally I don't do apple anything. I use droids and love Samsung. They do help out with all kinds of things too. With one app I can take a picture of a bar code on a tv I want and get an message back instantly of how much each store and the internet sells that tv for, sales included. That saves me money. Another app tells me how much fuel costs at every station within 50 miles of my current location. Another app I use like a walkie talkie and can leave/receive voice, pics or text when it's safe and convenient. That one also shows the location of the person I'm chatting with and can be used for a whole group.
I can push a button and talk to the phone, call west marine. I don't have them in my favorites and have never called them, "calling west marine on Abercorn" and it's ringing. Or say 92 Paseo ecu pinout and it replies with a voice telling me about it while display has options of sites and pictures. Or say driving directions, Neptune beach, Jacksonville "Neptune beach is ____ miles away and can be reached in __ hours in current traffic". Here are your directions.
That is so handy!
I can snap a picture and have it saved to the internet when you hear the camera sound. Video straight to youtube. Phone gets taken you still have your pictures and contacts. And you can lock that baby down tight.
I have a mobile banking app so make deposits on the spot by taking a picture of a check or I can swipe a card and put money in through paypal.
You can tune a car with a droid.
:deal: :doh:
The list goes on for days.
Seriously, and the best part is you don't even really need service with one. They can do everything through wifi and they scan for open networks.
I used mine in a remote part of rural North Carolina where none of us, even the att guys had a signal. But I found some ranch house with wifi and could then make calls. :smug:

[Edited on 10-10-15 by Tercel GTS]

スターレット
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top