Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: IAC valve
92 CYNOS-FL
Senior TO Member

Mood: need that 4efte in my paseo

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 11:41 AM
IAC valve

Evere since i got my paseo 2 yrs ago i have had i high idling problem. since then i have done research on high idle on PASEO's and TERCEL's and found out that,other then vacumm leaks and improper filling of coolant that may cause high idles and are a very cheap fix.( if thats the issue).

The one main thing that could cause an high idle is the AUXILARY AIR CONTROL VALVE or IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE.
this valve is connected right under the throttle body and it has 4 hoses connected to it.
2 are vacumm lines and 2 are coolant lines.when the IAC valve is connected to the throttle body it looks like all 4 lines are connected to the IAC VALVE. but when you disconnect the IAC VALVE from the throttle body that are actually 3 hoses connected to the valve and the 4th one goes to the throttle body.

this valve usually cost anywhere from $175-$240 depending on where you buy it. i acutually found it on advancedautoparts.com for $133 but with an 15%discount and tax it came out to $119.

i also found out that there is a great deal of confusion between the IAC VALVE and the ACV (air control valve) thats attached to the intake mani on the passengers side.

both valves might have similar fuctions but they are not the same. many times i have posted a wanted ad here looking for the IAC valve and in return i get ACValve.

well i finally got the IAC valve and am about to install it my self:blah:. i am no mechanic but i am going to try and will let you guys know if it worked of not....

being a noob sucks but being daring is exciting.....lmao

ChakaRaka
όber TO Member

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 92 CYNOS-FL  
Evere since i got my paseo 2 yrs ago i have had i high idling problem. since then i have done research on high idle on PASEO's and TERCEL's and found out that,other then vacumm leaks and improper filling of coolant that may cause high idles and are a very cheap fix.( if thats the issue).

The one main thing that could cause an high idle is the AUXILARY AIR CONTROL VALVE or IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE.
this valve is connected right under the throttle body and it has 4 hoses connected to it.
2 are vacumm lines and 2 are coolant lines.when the IAC valve is connected to the throttle body it looks like all 4 lines are connected to the IAC VALVE. but when you disconnect the IAC VALVE from the throttle body that are actually 3 hoses connected to the valve and the 4th one goes to the throttle body.

this valve usually cost anywhere from $175-$240 depending on where you buy it. i acutually found it on advancedautoparts.com for $133 but with an 15%discount and tax it came out to $119.

i also found out that there is a great deal of confusion between the IAC VALVE and the ACV (air control valve) thats attached to the intake mani on the passengers side.

both valves might have similar fuctions but they are not the same. many times i have posted a wanted ad here looking for the IAC valve and in return i get ACValve.

well i finally got the IAC valve and am about to install it my self:blah:. i am no mechanic but i am going to try and will let you guys know if it worked of not....

being a noob sucks but being daring is exciting.....lmao

Just mark your hoses really carefully so they go back where they belong. Other than that, it should be pretty straight forward. It just might take a little longer to get access to than you might imagine. But at the same time, if you have good light and reach, you could probably sneak it in from below the car.

:twocents:

92 CYNOS-FL
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 01:03 PM

so i installed the IAC valve and it lowerd the rpms when i started it this morning. the RPM's at a cold start use to be at 3k RPM's and now its starts at 1600 RPM'sand it warms up faster then it did before.
but once it warms up its right at 1200 RPM's and now am confused to how am i going to lower the RPM's to normal wich i believe is @ 700 rpm's.

i have lowered the rpm screw on the throttle body all the way down
i have mess with the ignition so see if it lowers a lil bit.but when i did, i noticed that it lagged a lil when i step on the throttle.
i hace checked for vacumm leaks.
replaced fuel injector groomets and o-rings
replaced the 4 hoses that goes to the IAC valve(2 coolant/2 vacumm)
checked the coolant levels.
i am really stump on this one.:dunce:
i really dont know what else to do.

also when i put the a/c on, the rpm's jump from 1k rpm's to 2k rpm non stop.
i know it has to be something simple but my :dunce: cant seen to figuire this out.

T-Train
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 01:16 PM

I'm not sure about 5e's but on my 22re if you turn the base idle screw out too far the idle will lope like it does when you have the a/c on.

Also do you have a timing light or are you messing with timing by ear?

What have you used to check vac leaks? Tried a plumbers torch (unlit) with a hose on the end so you can get to hard to reach places?
92 CYNOS-FL
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 01:35 PM

i have yet to put a timing gun on the vehicle just timing it by ear and the way it rides..
vacumm leaks i have checked with all sorts of different things like
sprayed a mist of water
throttle body cleaner

i havent touched to screw on the top on the throtle body again.
i guess i will try to adjust a few things tomorrow when i am off work and let you guys know how it went
:thanx:

ChakaRaka
όber TO Member

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 92 CYNOS-FL  
i have yet to put a timing gun on the vehicle just timing it by ear and the way it rides..
vacumm leaks i have checked with all sorts of different things like
sprayed a mist of water
throttle body cleaner

i havent touched to screw on the top on the throtle body again.
i guess i will try to adjust a few things tomorrow when i am off work and let you guys know how it went
:thanx:

You should time it properly, lights are cheap (or can often be borrowed from a buddy or neighbour). When you go back to the idle air bleed screw, remove it and clean it and its hole as best as you can. Then reinstall and adjust. Sometimes they get crudded up with corrosion etc and don't allow for the metred flow they are supposed to.

:twocents:

Go To Top