Author: Subject: DRL disable
4agetercel
TO Patron

Mood: eight-six burnouts

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 05:15 PM

Interestingly enough, the paseo and tercel have different coloured wires

Tercel - black/yellow stripe
Paseo - Red/blue stripe

When I put hid's in the tercel they flickered and wouldn't come on without the drl's disabled, but when I did the install in a paseo, it was all good, still disabled the drl's because I just don't like em

4AGE engine swappinz http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=38852 RIP 4agTercel, 09/02/2011
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ShowCarTercel
TO Patron*

Mood: I now have space and a garage!

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 10:39 PM

So I have the opposite question. I don't want to disable my daytime running lights, I want to make my DRLs on my new 1994 Tercel go from just the low level front lights to the regular front lights and taillights running all the time.

Anyone know how I can rewire a 1994 Tercel to have the front and rear lights on like my 1991 Tercel has them on?

Manitoba's First and Only 5efhe in a 1991 as the favorite car.
And a 1994 Tercel LS as the fancy car.
SupraGuy
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 01:53 PM

let's see. The DRL module has a few inputs, which tell it when it's okay to turn the lights on, but in general, it's the handbrake or park safety switch in the case of automatics) and ignition power, but it will also have an output. Without the wiring diagram, it's hard to say exactly where that will be, but most Toyotas switch the headlights on with a negative pulse to the light relays.

The diagram here:

Is for a 1995, but the relevant points shouldn't be too different. The DRL relay should switch ground at the light relay (R at pin 6) and open on the DRL resistor relay (R-G at pin 5 in this diagram) to turn them on. I'd grab the headlight relay at pin 6 and use it to switch another relay, bump it to the light switch in the steering column, same as if I were installing the parking light flash for a remote start or alarm system. (Like this: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/2148.html ) that's for a '97, but again, should be mostly relevant.

If you do it that way, when the headlights come on, whether DRL or otherwise, the park, dash and tail lights will also come on. This should always happen when the lights are switched on anyway. If you want, you could switch that feed off using a DPST relay whenever the light switch is turned on. This is a good idea to do, but it should work as expected even if you don't.

[Edited on 16-11-2018 by SupraGuy]

1990 Supra turbo -- Summer Fun
1998 Tercel -- DD
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top