Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Alternative Oil Filters
alfradio
TO Patron & MVP

Mood: Indigo

[*] posted on 20-1-2012 at 02:43 PM

So basically, there are no RIGHT filters... ya go with what'cha know!?

alf :dunno:

NYCtercel
Senior TO Member

Mood: ZOOM!

[*] posted on 20-1-2012 at 03:40 PM

Well if you check out a fram filter ( take it apart) you will see that its just glued paper rather than K&M, Napa, Trd, clamped or stitched style! Fram has been known to break inside and are giving the name Orange Death Caps

Photobucket
mantafelix
TO Patron

Mood: Rocking the EJ205!

[*] posted on 20-1-2012 at 03:55 PM

Never had anything bad happen to me with the Frams, but for my new built, i've decided to go the OEM toyota way... anyways, the price difference is minimal.

'00 IMPREZA 2.5 RS aka THE PANDA GC8 - WRX '05 SWAPPED!!!!

"Oh, come on, I mean... 50 5-left and stop 2-right half minus braking into K-right 90 maybe and absolute crest 500. What the hell am I supposed to make of that when I’m flat out over a jump sideways at 90mph?!?!!"
Midnight Drifter
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 10:16 PM

Just to put this out there, Purolator L20195 works a cinch and also makes changing the filter easier to get to.

No leaks of any kind.

So, based on that knowledge, here's a list of filters with the same profile and thread type:

-Pronto PO241
-ACDelco PFL400A/ACL
-Motorcraft FL400S
-Wix 51516
-Fram xx3600
-Mobil 1 M1-209
-Champion PH400
-Royal Purple 20-400

[Edited on 2-27-2012 by Midnight Drifter]
rainmaker9239
über TO Member

Mood: 25psi Coming Soon!

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 10:36 PM

I work with these filters everyday. We only know the filters as this F1, F2, G1, D3. These are normal screw on filters. F1 and F2 are the same size just F1 is taller used on most camry 4cyl, Rav4 4cyl, some highlanders as well. The F2 is for corollas, prius, some scions, 5s camrys, yaris. The G1 is for V6s and the D3 is for trucks.
There is also the paper element type we know as A1, A6, A5, A4. The A5s are specifically for the new FJs. A4 is tundras and sequioas. A6 is smallest for prius, corollas, and small cars. A1 is basically for everything else. Lexus uses an A3 for some of their stuff.
All of this relevant to us, no, but i went on a small rant i suppose :rant: lol
I personally use the F1, but could just as well use the F2.

St_Mu69
T.O. Patron

Mood: Fast and Furious

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 12:20 PM

Before

After

The main difference?

THIS

Some more pics

Mu:waving:

--- Full Part catalog---
SlammedSix
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 03:28 AM

So I am wondering....is there such thing as too big of an oil filter if it seats right and doesn't leak? Cause I found another filter that fits and its literally 4x bigger than the 4967 OEM, and It really dwarfs the 3614 as well. :dunno:

[Edited on 17-4-2012 by SlammedSix]

St_Mu69
T.O. Patron

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 07:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SlammedSix  
So I am wondering....is there such thing as too big of an oil filter if it seats right and doesn't leak? Cause I found another filter that fits and its literally 4x bigger than the 4967 OEM, and It really dwarfs the 3614 as well. :dunno:

I have done 700 miles on the filter since installed and no problem at all :)

--- Full Part catalog---
Throttler
über TO Member

Mood: Deluged with semi finished sh it

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 09:17 AM

This was just a qualitative assessement, but it seemed like when I had the larger filter installed it took longer for my oil pressure light to go off than with the stock sized filter. I was concerned that at startup the slower developing oil pressure would cause more bearing wear.

Just to say it but I'm going to be using a remote oil filter adapter on my turbo install, so there will be a ton more volume that the pump will have to charge before reaching the bearings. THe volume increase of the remote lines has to be way more than the volume increase of the larger size oil filters.

92 Paseo WIP

Quote:
posted on another forum
...but point being, its a tercel. not meant to be fast, or to be an integra.

:haha:
St_Mu69
T.O. Patron

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 09:40 AM

^^^this is true. My light stay open for 1-2 sec MAX.

--- Full Part catalog---
SlammedSix
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Throttler  

This was just a qualitative assessement, but it seemed like when I had the larger filter installed it took longer for my oil pressure light to go off than with the stock sized filter. I was concerned that at startup the slower developing oil pressure would cause more bearing wear.

Just to say it but I'm going to be using a remote oil filter adapter on my turbo install, so there will be a ton more volume that the pump will have to charge before reaching the bearings. THe volume increase of the remote lines has to be way more than the volume increase of the larger size oil filters.

I was thinking of shimming the oil pump to get some more pressure, I bet it will compensate the larger filter sizes.:twocents:

RDX-JinX
über TO Member

Mood: R.I.P. Tomek

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Throttler  

I was thinking of shimming the oil pump to get some more pressure, I bet it will compensate the larger filter sizes.:twocents:

you mean the oil pressure regulator right ? it wont do much at startup since its not bypassing any oil since thers no pressure...

X2 on NOT using fram filters, they collapse like a smokers lung, if you have an oil pressure gauge you would notice it surge... very cheap insides !

theyre ok for the everyday commute till ther a really bad batch that comes along but for the track or any good car :stay away !

Life Happens... Experience it, enjoy it, all the little things, while you can.

For all your engine building needs
>>> http://www.tkrace.com/

SlammedSix
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RDX-JinX  

you mean the oil pressure regulator right ? it wont do much at startup since its not bypassing any oil since thers no pressure...

X2 on NOT using fram filters, they collapse like a smokers lung, if you have an oil pressure gauge you would notice it surge... very cheap insides !

theyre ok for the everyday commute till ther a really bad batch that comes along but for the track or any good car :stay away !

Well I was not worried about start up as my oil light is on identical to my oem filters...I was just thinking a larger filter holding more oil I would think it would benefit a higher pressure since It can filter more volume.

Sounds like your oil filter is not doing its job:

Quote:

Most pressurized lubrication systems incorporate an overpressure relief valve to allow oil to bypass the filter if its flow restriction is excessive, to protect the engine from oil starvation. Filter bypass may occur if the filter is clogged or the oil is thickened by cold weather. The overpressure relief valve is frequently incorporated into the oil filter. Filters mounted such that oil tends to drain from them usually incorporate an anti-drainback valve to hold oil in the filter after the engine (or other lubrication system) is shut down. This is done to avoid a delay in oil pressure buildup once the system is restarted; without an anti-drainback valve, pressurized oil would have to fill the filter before travelling onward to the engine's working parts. This situation can cause premature wear of moving parts due to initial lack of oil.

RDX-JinX
über TO Member

Mood: R.I.P. Tomek

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 06:17 PM

im not running fram lol ...

Life Happens... Experience it, enjoy it, all the little things, while you can.

For all your engine building needs
>>> http://www.tkrace.com/

SlammedSix
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 06:33 PM

Great write up I found
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html

airswoosh1
TO Patron
Thread Moved
19-5-2012 at 01:52 AM
 Pages:  1  2