Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1st gen 5e w/ 2nd gen 5e HG becomes interference?
Throttler
όber TO Member

Mood: Deluged with semi finished sh it

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 08:17 AM
1st gen 5e w/ 2nd gen 5e HG becomes interference?

So I've been replacing the head on my pretty much stock 1st gen 5e, and I decided to go with the 2nd gen 5e metal shim head gasket for a little bump in the compression ratio. While preparing to install the timing belt, I wanted to check if the valves would interfere w/ the pistons, so I had the #1 piston at TDC, and I rocked the cam back and forth. I could not get the cam to rotate past a certain point going in both directions, which should indicate that this is now a interference engine. Here is a rather large video (140MB) so those of you with some patience can see what I'm talking about.

Let me know if you guys can see this or if I need to change my photobucket permissions.

[Edited on 15-9-2011 by Throttler]

92 Paseo WIP

Quote:
posted on another forum
...but point being, its a tercel. not meant to be fast, or to be an integra.

:haha:
mantafelix
TO Patron

Mood: Rocking the EJ205!

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 09:01 AM

It should not be interference... only way to achieve interferenceness is by using 4efe pistons with the 2nd gen HG.

Are you sure that the head hasn't been shaved before? :dunno:

'00 IMPREZA 2.5 RS aka THE PANDA GC8 - WRX '05 SWAPPED!!!!

"Oh, come on, I mean... 50 5-left and stop 2-right half minus braking into K-right 90 maybe and absolute crest 500. What the hell am I supposed to make of that when I’m flat out over a jump sideways at 90mph?!?!!"
4agetercel
TO Patron

Mood: eight-six burnouts

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 09:21 AM

you get the cam timing correct? could be that the valves are opening and hitting each other

4AGE engine swappinz http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=38852 RIP 4agTercel, 09/02/2011
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
GT_REVVA
TO Showoff

Mood: when you KNOW you're smarter than someone, don't be afraid to LET THEM KNOW. -my Mom..smartest person I know :deal:

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 09:31 AM

is that really a good way to check though steve?

think about it - under normal operation, the crank/rods/pistons would be moving in unison as well

turning the cams while keeping the pistons in one place may not be the best bet

i think the best way would be to stick a piece o clay in the cylinder, time it and then rotate the entire assembly to check for clearance

he who knows and, knows he knows...he is a wise man , seek him
he who knows and, knows not he knows....he is asleep, wake him
he who knows not and, knows he knows not...he is a child, teach him
he who knows not and, knows not he knows not...he is a fool, shun him
Mulberry:The car is reliable, it has made at least 100 passes on the dyno and it has passed the GT_REVVA test
sleepyrz:yea and if he cant get it to break you sure as hell cant

krussure of nubz dreemz Ultrasound Baby Driving
DivisionOne Article Autoblog RR articleFACT THREAD TO Members' Modded Rides TO HORSEPOWER LEADER BOARD
VISIT MY STORE
chip18sw
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GT_REVVA  
is that really a good way to check though steve?

think about it - under normal operation, the crank/rods/pistons would be moving in unison as well

turning the cams while keeping the pistons in one place may not be the best bet

i think the best way would be to stick a piece o clay in the cylinder, time it and then rotate the entire assembly to check for clearance
:iwdumbass:
I ran into something similar (I think) when I was working on my WOO (which is an interference engine). I put the 1 piston @ TDC and I clocked the cams, No belt installed. I tried to rotate the cam assembly and it would not move.

Fortunately I did not crank the crap out of it ! I put the belt on and rotated and it was fine. SO I guess without the belt the pistons are in the way, with the belt the pistons drop out of the way.

Don't know if that helps but thought I would mention it.

I wants to go fast but I got's no cash! :)
Throttler
όber TO Member

Mood: Deluged with semi finished sh it

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 11:55 AM

I agree that the clay method would check for min clearance b/w piston and valve on an engine with the timing belt installed. This quick check was to see if the relationship b/w the cam and crank were lost, like during a broken t-belt scenario, would the pistons hit the valves. I would say the answer to this is yes for this combo of parts. More later...

It's now later and I have more time...like I mentioned in the video I think I ran into this as well on the hybrid 5e I built before...that was a 2nd gen bottom end, w/ a 1st gen top end, and a 2nd gen steel shim HG. I just didn't have a video camera to document it at the time.

I don't think the head has been shaved, but all I really know is it was out of a running car that had a rod knock. I did see it run and drive.

Also, just for the record I did not mess w/ the pistons, so I'm 99.9% sure they are installed the correct way. I can look at the HG comparison thread I made to make sure though.

Lastly, I finished puttting the engine back together last nite after I took the video and it runs fine. So yes, the cams were properly syncronized to each other in the video, and once I installed the t-belt w/ the cam gear hole aligned to the dot on the exhaust cam #1 bearing cap, and #1 piston at TDC (mark on crank gear aligned w/ mark on oil pump housing), the engine at least idles great. I will do a road test later today, as well as set the ignition timing per procedure.

Edit 2: BTW, i was calculating my new CR. Looking at my old CR thread from 2008, using some new head CC info from sc468nm, and some measurements I made.

So a stock 1st gen 5efe should have these values:

Configuration: 1st gen 5e pistons, 1st gen 5e head gasket, 1st gen 5e head:
Enter Cylinder Bore Size: 74mm
Enter Piston Stroke Length: 87mm
Enter Head Gasket Bore Diameter: 74.34mm
Enter Compressed Head Gasket Thickness: 1.42mm (I need to re-verify I measured my old 1st gen gasket as 0.056" thick in the fire ring area last nite)
Enter Combustion Chamber Volume In CCs: 36cc
Enter Piston Dome Volume In CCs Negative For Dished Pistons (Use '-'): -4.05cc valve reliefs + 1.67cc dome = -2.38cc
Enter Piston Deck Clearance Negative If ABOVE Deck (Use '-') : -0.051mm

This puts the CR about where it should be at 9.44:1 compared to a Toyota advertised CR of 9.4:1. I iterated the head volume to get it close to 9.4:1, and that value is only 1cc off of sc468nm's value. Tercelreference quotes 39cc. I think this is well within tolerance accounting for carbon buildup in the chamber. If I really wanted to I could cc some chambers on the 2 heads I have off the car to get a value.

Now if I change the compressed HG to 0.33mm I get this:

Configuration: 1st gen 5e pistons, 2nd gen 5e steel shim head gasket, 1st gen 5e head:
Enter Cylinder Bore Size: 74mm
Enter Piston Stroke Length: 87mm
Enter Head Gasket Bore Diameter: 74.34mm
Enter Compressed Head Gasket Thickness: 0.33mm
Enter Combustion Chamber Volume In CCs: 36cc
Enter Piston Dome Volume In CCs Negative For Dished Pistons (Use '-'): -4.05cc valve reliefs + 1.67cc dome = -2.38cc
Enter Piston Deck Clearance Negative If ABOVE Deck (Use '-') : -0.051mm

This comes up w/ 10.45:1 CR.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html/

[Edited on 15-9-2011 by Throttler]

92 Paseo WIP

Quote:
posted on another forum
...but point being, its a tercel. not meant to be fast, or to be an integra.

:haha:

Go To Top