Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: NA POWER
mulberry
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-7-2011 at 11:44 PM
NA POWER

For the frequent posts that state: "I want more power, don't want an engine swap or turbo and I don't have much money"

The obvious thing as Flynn would tell you is to fit a nitrous kit. However if you have more than 150,000 miles on your engine or if the mileage is unknown, then you will need to rebuild your engine before fitting the nitrous kit. See ChakaRaka's rebuild thread and you can price the parts that he used/replaced.
The next approach is to build a throttle body injection kit using the throttle bodies from the Triumph 600 and fabricating a set of headers plus a complete two inch exhaust system. You can also price this approach.

To make real NA power you must increase the compression ratio to a minimum of 10:1 CR which means using a minimum of 93 RON Octane gas plus a water injection kit for longevity and insurance. Water injection kit costs roughly 250.00. BTW a water injection kit also works on NA engines, ask me how I know.

Back in the day (circa 1985), my original NA Mini had these specs:
1380cc push rod engine (1275cc block overbored 120 thou)
11.5:1CR, Richard Longman Stage 2 cylinder head, forged pistons, steel rods, Sprint camshaft, 1.5 roller rockers, aluminum flywheel, grey diaphram, pressure plate and clutch, Weber 45mm side draft carb, long center branch header, 1-7/8 exhaust system and four speed straight cut close ratio gearbox. The bottom end was fully balanced. All of these mods made 120HP at the flywheel. Now, today, to buy a crate engine and gearbox with the above specs costs roughly 8,000.00 USD and it would not include the Weber carb & intake manifold nor the header, starter or alternator.

To port and polish a "E" series cylinder head can run anywhere from 500.00 up and that is with stock valves.
About now you are probably saying, "what does this have to do with my Toyota engine?"
Consider this, I have a friend down here that was using a built 3TC engine in his '81 Corolla. His specs were: 12:1CR, Cosworth pistons, the 3TC was bored to make 2000cc, Crane custom camshaft with half inch lift, head ported and polished and larger Chrysler valves fitted, light flywheel, a pair of Weber 45 side draft carbs and Doug Thorey headers, bottom end fully balanced. Well one night on his way home he came across a similar Corolla. After making eye contact they had a little "test" and needless to say he got creamed. This was in '92 and his engine was state of the art for NA power. The driver of the other Corolla was one Lance Holung and the engine was a 1.8 3TC with a 348 Crane cam and a T3 turbo.
4agetercel
TO Patron

Mood: eight-six burnouts

[*] posted on 24-7-2011 at 11:51 PM

Great N/A info, there is a great deal of work involved in making more N/A power

on a side note, 3TC turbos are bad ass

4AGE engine swappinz http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=38852 RIP 4agTercel, 09/02/2011
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MonsterTercel
όber TO Member

Mood: Coilovers. Rims. Tires. More.

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 12:41 AM

How do you know water injection works on an N/A motor?:smug::deal:

1998 4Dr tercel black, and CE trim model (The Monster in Monster tercel is for its Monster feul econamy)
logtail
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 07:35 AM

Because h20 injection works on any internal combustion engine. However, you can't just go jerry-rigging it in; you need to actually know what you are doing. On a forced induction engine you have more noticeable results with h20 injection.

chip18sw
TO Crew

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by logtail  
Because h20 injection works on any internal combustion engine. However, you can't just go jerry-rigging it in; you need to actually know what you are doing. On a forced induction engine you have more noticeable results with h20 injection.
:iwdumbass:

I wants to go fast but I got's no cash! :)
madRPM
TO Patron
Thread Topped
25-7-2011 at 08:58 AM
GT_REVVA
TO Showoff

Mood: when you KNOW you're smarter than someone, don't be afraid to LET THEM KNOW. -my Mom..smartest person I know :deal:

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 09:48 AM

interpretation of Mul's dissertation : if you dont have much money, you aint buildin much NA power...and even if you dump your cash, you'll still get whomped a cheaper turbo setup.

but at least you'll have the braggin rights "hey, i'f he'd have blown a coupler off, i'd have totally been able to see what kinda car that was" :dunce::doh:

:haha::haha:

he who knows and, knows he knows...he is a wise man , seek him
he who knows and, knows not he knows....he is asleep, wake him
he who knows not and, knows he knows not...he is a child, teach him
he who knows not and, knows not he knows not...he is a fool, shun him
Mulberry:The car is reliable, it has made at least 100 passes on the dyno and it has passed the GT_REVVA test
sleepyrz:yea and if he cant get it to break you sure as hell cant

krussure of nubz dreemz Ultrasound Baby Driving
DivisionOne Article Autoblog RR articleFACT THREAD TO Members' Modded Rides TO HORSEPOWER LEADER BOARD
VISIT MY STORE
logtail
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 10:18 AM

^^Funny cause it's true. I wanted to build a huge b230 4 banger for my 86 740, and I was all, "I'll put this cam and these giant Chrysler 318 pistons..."

My shop foreman was like, "Ummm, why would you spend all that money when you could buy a turbo 740 for like $1k. And then turn the boost way the hell up."

That's when I realized how stupid I was thinking.

ChakaRaka
όber TO Member

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the nod there Mulberry. To save some time for you guys that are interested, my rebuild was $750 (my cost) and about 37 hours in shop labour. Although I bet my time would have been a lot less if I was not running to clean my hands and grab the camera ever 10 minutes. I would suggest that parts would typically run about $1000 (in Canada, maybe less in the US) for the average joe, but I get discounts and deals because of the volume of parts that we buy every year. If you still want to see what parts were replaced I think that my thread covers that aspect.

http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=45700

:pepper:

[Edited on 7-25-2011 by ChakaRaka]

GT_REVVA
TO Showoff

Mood: when you KNOW you're smarter than someone, don't be afraid to LET THEM KNOW. -my Mom..smartest person I know :deal:

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 12:18 PM

oh yea, those unfamiliar with who Lance HoLung is...just google Lance Ho Lung or Toyomoto

http://www.tunerzine.com/view-article/toyomoto-equipped

Mulberry:The car is reliable, it has made at least 100 passes on the dyno and it has passed the GT_REVVA test

DivisionOne Article Autoblog RR articleFACT THREAD TO Members' Modded Rides TO HORSEPOWER LEADER BOARD
VISIT MY STORE
madRPM
TO Patron

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 01:41 PM

^^^^ Even has the Altezza head and tails :love:

mulberry
TO Crew

[*] posted on 25-7-2011 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MonsterTercel  
How do you know water injection works on an N/A motor?:smug::deal:

Because back then which was in Jamaica BTW, the octane rating would not support that kind of CR. When turning off the car you had to stall the engine with the clutch or detonation would kill the pistons. In '85 I bought the water injection kit from Discount Autoparts now called Advanced Autoparts. The kit had two jets with different sizes.
chip18sw
TO Crew

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GT_REVVA  
oh yea, those unfamiliar with who Lance HoLung is...just google Lance Ho Lung or Toyomoto

[url]http://www.tunerzine.com/view-article/toyomoto-equipped
Hmm[/url] well it's a cool car and build but not sure how it fits in here? Does'nt seem like a I want a fast car but I got's no money kinda build!:haha:

GT_REVVA
TO Showoff

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 09:10 AM

just givin some insight into the person mul was referring to in the original post.:deal:

VISIT MY STORE
chip18sw
TO Crew

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 09:13 AM

Aww OK, well I'm one of the ones that don't read the details before replying!:lachen:

chip18sw
TO Crew

[*] posted on 26-7-2011 at 01:56 PM

Don't forget slammedsix, did a 3ee head on a 5efe block and I think it was 11.5 to 1 compression!:yikes:

So the mechanics of it works, I would think it would need E85 or Water injection to live but the principle is sound!

I'm leaning in that direction myself and mine if I go that way will have ITB's on it!

And my target motor is not the 4efte but the 5efhe!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top