Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9
Author: Subject: 1994 Tercel - 3EE Engine Rebuild (Redo on the head, to correct machine shop error.)
ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 01:27 AM

Poordude, I know what you are saying and on some level I agree, but you have not read page 1 apparently. I have already debated the pro's and cons of 3 different approaches to "re-powering" this car. I am not having problems since the rebuild, I just had not set the valve clearance since the rebuild, the way Toyota claims they need to be set. I said fuck Toyota and did my own thing, based on the symptoms, logic and some :crossfingers: and it now runs like a top. No more rattly valvetrain, good power, no smoke, hopefully no oil leakage (need a week to know for sure). I appreciate the debates we seem to magnetize toward, but if a 3ee could ever be healed, then I am the one who would accomplish it...look how meticulous I have been. :deal:

drift_ae86_91, got the U2U, appreciate it man and thanks for the compliment on this thread. This is my "introduction" on this site and I will let it speak for itself. Really diggin' the vibe and mix of gearheads on here. Might hang on to the gen 4 just for "street cred" well after it has been upgraded.

Honestly wouldn't mind making it an auto-x or something...but at the same time, my bro's neglected MR2 is calling to me too...
:dunno:

4agetercel
TO Patron

Mood: eight-six burnouts

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 10:05 AM

did you get new rocker arms or something, or when you re-assembled you just stuck em wherever? when i did mine i put all the rockers in the same place they were, didnt make any extra noise, but they are loud compared to a lifter

oh yeah, and do take car of the MR2...

4AGE engine swappinz http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=38852 RIP 4agTercel, 09/02/2011
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
poordude2151
TO Patron

Mood: Sometimes Pain blinds us of our happiness. Stay strong, and happiness will follow!!

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ChakaRaka  
Poordude, I know what you are saying and on some level I agree, but you have not read page 1 apparently. I have already debated the pro's and cons of 3 different approaches to "re-powering" this car. I am not having problems since the rebuild, I just had not set the valve clearance since the rebuild, the way Toyota claims they need to be set. I said :censored: Toyota and did my own thing, based on the symptoms, logic and some :crossfingers: and it now runs like a top. No more rattly valvetrain, good power, no smoke, hopefully no oil leakage (need a week to know for sure). I appreciate the debates we seem to magnetize toward, but if a 3ee could ever be healed, then I am the one who would accomplish it...look how meticulous I have been. :deal:

drift_ae86_91, got the U2U, appreciate it man and thanks for the compliment on this thread. This is my "introduction" on this site and I will let it speak for itself. Really diggin' the vibe and mix of gearheads on here. Might hang on to the gen 4 just for "street cred" well after it has been upgraded.

Honestly wouldn't mind making it an auto-x or something...but at the same time, my bro's neglected MR2 is calling to me too...
:dunno:

Understood
ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4agetercel  
did you get new rocker arms or something, or when you re-assembled you just stuck em wherever? when i did mine i put all the rockers in the same place they were, didnt make any extra noise, but they are loud compared to a lifter

oh yeah, and do take car of the MR2...

I had the head professionally rebuilt and my guy is good. I send all my customer head work to him because his quality is top notch and his pricing is very reasonable. I readjusted to my own spec and it is running great now. As for the MR2 , time will tell, it has been sitting awaiting a new life for years now. Too many ideas, not enough money, yet.

4agetercel
TO Patron

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 11:26 PM

oh i see,

pics of MR2? lol

4AGE engine swappinz http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=38852 RIP 4agTercel, 09/02/2011
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 11:31 PM

oh i see,

pics of MR2? lol

-
Maybe in a while, it's not mine anyways. Just a stock 1986 Black/Charcoal MR2.

4agetercel
TO Patron

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 11:35 PM

oh though maybe you had some, in that case no biggie

ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 27-3-2011 at 12:27 AM

oh though maybe you had some, in that case no biggie

Okay so I did have just one. See if you can find it...
:haha:

[Edited on 2-21-2013 by ChakaRaka]

ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 01:22 AM

So I have gone 500 kms now and am having a hard time keeping restrained now that the pavement is clean and sometimes dry. Valvetrain sounds great since the adjustment. Have not detected a drop of oil yet. Although I think it is a little early to come to a verdict on that part, but it is a reassuring sign. I plan the first oil change at 1,000 kms so that is about another tank of gas away. I will have a really good look when I am under the car, but so far, so good. :crossfingers:

Next repair planned is to change out the outboard boots on the CV's...they seem good still internally, so that will be a wise $30 investment. Gotta get some customer jobs done first and my Corolla is feeling a little neglected after a long winter too...

MonsterTercel
über TO Member

Mood: Coilovers. Rims. Tires. More.

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 03:25 AM

A new motor will burn more oil in the first few hundy km just cuz all the metal is seting itself and all no? So I would worry if 10,000 down the road and oil becomes a problem? More asking then telling! :deal:

Also for the pic! The MR2 Is disguised as the ROLLA!:lachen:

1998 4Dr tercel black, and CE trim model (The Monster in Monster tercel is for its Monster feul econamy)
ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 03:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MonsterTercel  
A new motor will burn more oil in the first few hundy km just cuz all the metal is seting itself and all no? So I would worry if 10,000 down the road and oil becomes a problem? More asking then telling! :deal:

Also for the pic! The MR2 Is disguised as the ROLLA!:lachen:

I wasn't so much concerned about oil burning as much as oil leaking. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am watching the exhaust etc and expect some seating at first. But I can't smell new paint anymore and it is not leaking a drop of oil, contrary to the reputation of 3's. And how it was before the rebuild when it was leaking from at least 3 or 4 places.

As for the MR2, look again, it is between the Corolla 4wd Wagon and the Maxima, just look for the little peek of low slanted glass with a hint of black trim...:deal::pepper:

drift_ae86_91
über TO Member

Mood: Come soon Spring!

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 05:02 PM

I saw it right away.

forget the mr2, those are common.. MOAR PICS OF THE WAGON!!

ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 11:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by drift_ae86_91  
I saw it right away.

forget the mr2, those are common.. MOAR PICS OF THE WAGON!!

:pics2:
Wow, that was unexpected. That I can do...we did the graphics on that one. I will post some when I get home later.
:yikes::pepper:

4agetercel
TO Patron

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 12:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by drift_ae86_91  

forget the mr2, those are common..
oh yeah, real common....:screwy:

drift_ae86_91
über TO Member

Mood: Come soon Spring!

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 12:37 AM

Go on kijiji.

almost bought 2 last week. have one sitting around here too. have seen 4 or 5 in the past year in my small town of niagara falls, with a whopping population of 80,000... and i wasnt even looking for them

so yeah, common.

WHAT IT DO, HOE. :p

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

Go To Top