Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Low oil pressure on a 1996 Tercel
DD2000GT
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 31-10-2007 at 06:41 AM
Low oil pressure on a 1996 Tercel

My kid ran straight into a median and flattened his oil pan. Immediately after that, his low oil pressure warning light came on. No oil leaked, bit it pushed the pan up against his oil pickup tube, so I figured it was restricting oil intake and triggering the low oil pressure light. I removed the oil pan and hammered it back out. While I was in there, I checked his oil pickup tube. The two supports were slightly creased from the imact, but I saw no cracks on the pickup tube and it appeared to be sealing good to the block. He had no problems before this imact, so I would think it is not main/rod bearing wear related. I changed the oil and put a new oil filter on - no help. The light is lit on idle, but goes out when you rev the engine over 1500 RPMs or so.

A couple of questions - is the oil pressure relief valve on the bottom of the block facing the oil pan? Is the oil pump directly behind the oil pickup tube in the block? How hard is it to replace the oil pump? What is the thickest oil you can run in these engines? Any other ideas on where to check to fix this?

I am pretty good with a wrench, I just don't want to waste time and parts trying to troubleshoot what this issue is.

Thanks,
Dan
poordude2151
TO Patron

Mood: Sometimes Pain blinds us of our happiness. Stay strong, and happiness will follow!!

[*] posted on 31-10-2007 at 10:19 AM

The oil pump is on the front of the engine where the crank pully is. Its pretty easy if you know what your doing. The thickest oil I have ran was 10w 50. I would buy a new oil pan and a new oil pickup tube.
poordude2151
TO Patron

Mood: Sometimes Pain blinds us of our happiness. Stay strong, and happiness will follow!!

[*] posted on 31-10-2007 at 10:19 AM

Also is the oil sensor plugged in. Its on the side of the engine behind the exhaust mani.
DD2000GT
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 31-10-2007 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yankee7568
Also is the oil sensor plugged in. Its on the side of the engine behind the exhaust mani.

Thanks for the info. I did find and pulled the oil sending unit and cleaned it with brake cleaner to ensure it was not clogged up. After reassembly I ensured the connector was sound and plugged in good. Since the light is on at idle, then goes off around 1500 RPMs, I figure the oil sending unit is at least operational.

I picked up an oil pressure testing gauge and will test tonight what the actual pressure is. I also picked up some Rotella 15-40 oil to help keep the pressure up and give added lubricity while I am troubleshooting. I'll try to get a pickup tube and oil relief valve before I drop the pan again.

BTW - where exactly is the oil relief valve? I saw what looked like one while looking up at the bottom of the engine when I dropped the pan - towards the back and in the middle of the block. Is that it?

Thanks,
Dan
ticolorj
TO Member

Mood: Tercel GT \'97

icon_help.gif posted on 6-11-2007 at 08:54 PM

i had a problem but slightly different. when im running my car, lets says at 3000 rpm and oil pressure is 45 and let go the accelerator the pressure rise a little like to 50 or 53. is this normal?:icon help::icon help::icon
help:

5efhe-Tercel
Senior TO Member

Mood: N HIM...

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 11:00 PM

Around 10 psi per 1000 RPM's is good oil pressure...

Ken

For now...2004 Acura RSX type S...
ticolorj
TO Member

Mood: Tercel GT \'97

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 01:19 PM

but it is normal that if you let go the accelerator that the oil pressure rise a little?

Go To Top