Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How much difference do pulley sizes make?
t+pcombo
Senior TO Member

Mood: No Mood

info.gif posted on 29-4-2006 at 04:20 AM
How much difference do pulley sizes make?

I have an alternator I may be putting on my car. This one's pulley is about 1 inch smaller diameter than the one that's in the car now. How much difference would it make having the smaller pulley on there? Like do you think it would still have adequate charging output/too much output?

P.S.- I can't just swap the pulleys because the inside diameter where the pulley mounts onto the shaft is different.
Daox
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 29-4-2006 at 10:51 AM

You'd have to calculate circumfrence and see how much more it'll rotate... If it came off a Tercel I would say your fine. If it came off of something else thats more difficult to say.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
t+pcombo
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 29-4-2006 at 03:36 PM

I would say, at any given rpm, the stock one would spin roughly twice as fast as the engine speed. This smaller pulley, I think will spin roughly twice as fast as the stock one, so basically:

the stock one: engine speed-2000 rpms alternator speed-4000rpms

the smaller pulley: engine speed-2000 rpms alternator speed-8000rpms

Well, I'm thinkin' it's not going to be a good thing, because when the engine is at 6000rpms the alternator would be at like 24,000rpms or something ahhhhhhhh...

What do you think?
Daox
TO Crew

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 29-4-2006 at 04:22 PM

What is the new one off of? It may spin that fast... but that seems pretty quick. If you can find off the crank pulley size of the car the alternator is off of you'll know for sure.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
t+pcombo
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 29-4-2006 at 04:30 PM

I don't know what it's off of. I got it from Tercel GTS and it's not the same size as the stock one, about 1 inch smaller diameter. The inside diameter of the hole that goes on the shaft is right, but it's not the right pulley for the alternator.

Anybody had a similar experience? I know that for performance, such companies as AEM sell pulleys for accesories that are larger, so the accesories get the right output but steal less power from the engine...

But what about the other way around, I guess it would take more from the engine to get the right power...

I don't know, anyone have experience with something like this?

[Edited on 1-5-2006 by t+pcombo]
t+pcombo
Senior TO Member

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 02:59 AM

bump

Go To Top