Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  50
Author: Subject: The Official 2007 Group Buy For CFH -Shipping
iced_mugg
TO Patron

Mood: gettin it goin

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 11:38 PM
The Official 2007 Group Buy For CFH -Shipping

alright, so lets keep this discussion from taking away from paseo's threads.

lets try to get these made, at least for 91-94's.

i would like a particular style, you all may have oem style if you like.

we would need a deposit of say 50 dollars, so that if this fell through, we would all get our money back.

and this is only for serious established members who can put their money out there like it aint no big deal. and if you cant, start a savings account now!

im going to try speaking with Leonard at Versus Motorsport or Victor at Bodykits, Etc. this week if we have enough interest.

Now, we need a treasurer, and set a date for when we can do this. anyone?

[Edited on 28-12-2006 by Tercel Drifter]

[Edited on 8-1-2007 by iced_mugg]

[Edited on 9-3-2007 by Tercel Drifter]

[Edited on 18-6-2007 by iced_mugg]

iced_mugg
TO Patron

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 11:45 PM

usually about half the weight.

this is for 91-94's currently, but we will work something out very very soon about taking care of the 95-98 guys, since usually, they leave us out.

Red Hawk
Resident baby-sitter

Mood: Boosted again!

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 12:05 AM

What's your time frame? I need a new hood anyway, but probably wasn't going to do anything til summer. I'd like a CF trunk lid too, eventually.

I'd really like to know the actual weight savings too, before shelling out the big bucks.

I'd also only want one that was either OEM style, or very close to it.

WTB: 91-94 2-door tercel
iced_mugg
TO Patron

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 12:08 AM

OEM is the original intent, but i would like one styled like below.

my timeframe is towards the end of this spring, towards summer. that way not only can we get this together, but give the company we choose the time to r&d these and manufacture them.

i figure on a group buy, they will probably be between 600-800 bucks, but then again, we may get lucky and get them for less than 600. seeing as how civic cf hoods retail for 650, i dont see why we cant get pricing competitive with that, although ours will be custom.

[Edited on 13-2-2006 by iced_mugg]

iced_mugg
TO Patron

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 12:11 AM

at this time, we need three things.

1. established members who want and will deposit and pay.

2. a treasurer whom we trust to handle our deposit, and trust that will give it back if something happens.

3. a company that will do it.(leave extreme dimensions out, they are overpriced and slow)

iced_mugg
TO Patron

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 01:35 AM

this is just an idea, it may or may not happen:

for all tercels, corollas, or any part you need in CF that is not completely structural, i.e. suspension parts.

i am looking into the materials and the vacuum forming systems in order to produce these myself and drastically reduce the cost to just enough to cover my time, materials, and to justify the cost of the equipment.

send me enough interest and business, and ill get into the business of carbon composites overnight lol. im pretty good with glass, and carbon isnt much different at all.

if you all are concerned about weight savings, vacuum forming makes things so light that its amazing, because you are able to use less resin, the downside is that the part is less glossy, the solution? clear coat! not only for looks, but also for UV protection also.

the only problem i would have with making hoods, is that i would need a way to structurally bond the bottom part of the hood with the ribs to the top side of the hood, im sure ill find a way, im going to give this some thought and take care of this shortage of aftermarket parts once and for all.

Tercel Drifter
όber TO Member

Mood: Driving Rotary....

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 01:52 AM

Word! I think this might be our year......-deal- Doax, Paseo and of course Iced, as all developing/planning stuff as we speak. ToyotaTechGeek Is offering 3e/e peeps support as well. this year has alot of potencial guys!!!-coolguy-. Now enough of my rant back on topic.

1992 Toyota Tercel 4 door,1987 Mazda RX-7 FC3S, 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Paseo15psi
TO Crew

Mood: 1st & 2nd Gen Paseo goodness

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 05:54 AM

I'm down for a 92-95 Paseo hood and a 95-99 Tercel hood. Just keep us notified. I may know of some other companies that can make it. I'll post my list in a few hours.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Paseo15psi
TO Crew

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 08:45 AM

http://www.realcarbon.com/default.htm
http://carbontrix.com/

Hope that helps D.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Paseo15psi
TO Crew

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 01:42 PM

Let me add links to this for all the polls. That way people can read all that I have to say about each one and can gather the info from one spot.
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=24500
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=24502
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=24501

Enjoy. And don't be put off by my sharpness in providing answers. I'm treating this buy like a business deal, so no time to be friendly. In or out. Save the bitching. We are giving you options and a chance to voice your opinion. Take advantage. I know that I'm sick of trying to do something for this board and nobody ever follows through. Take that with a grain of salt. You know I love you guys like family, but like family, ya'll make me sick sometimes.

[Edited on 13-2-2006 by Paseo15psi]

Paseo15psi
TO Crew

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iced_mugg
this is just an idea, it may or may not happen:

for all tercels, corollas, or any part you need in CF that is not completely structural, i.e. suspension parts.

i am looking into the materials and the vacuum forming systems in order to produce these myself and drastically reduce the cost to just enough to cover my time, materials, and to justify the cost of the equipment.

send me enough interest and business, and ill get into the business of carbon composites overnight lol. im pretty good with glass, and carbon isnt much different at all.

if you all are concerned about weight savings, vacuum forming makes things so light that its amazing, because you are able to use less resin, the downside is that the part is less glossy, the solution? clear coat! not only for looks, but also for UV protection also.

the only problem i would have with making hoods, is that i would need a way to structurally bond the bottom part of the hood with the ribs to the top side of the hood, im sure ill find a way, im going to give this some thought and take care of this shortage of aftermarket parts once and for all.

Use multiple layers and weave the layers around the support.

[Edited on 13-2-2006 by Paseo15psi]

djsilent
TO Crew

Mood: tercelclub.org

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 02:03 PM

Just for some people that may not know, fiberglass is comparable in weight to steel. CF typically weighs about 12-16lbs for a hood, and the stock one is probably about 30-35lbs (easy for one person to carry). Fiberglass would probably end up at 25-30lbs, as you still need the inner structure and will need atleast 3 layers for a hood. To get any real weight savings, you're gonna need to go CF or Carbon Kevlar, but that would run thousands.

http://www.shawnmarsh.com - My metalshaping work.
Paseo15psi
TO Crew

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 02:08 PM

The price of raw carbon mat is going up too. So we need to do this soon. I say that the money needs to be due by June 1st and that way we should have hoods before the end of summer as it takes about 6-8 weeks for the entire process at most manufacturers.

ugabuga
TO Patron

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 02:40 PM

wow 600-800 .. that's a lot of dollars for 10-15lb difference. I was expecting them to be around 300 ... may be 400 max.

2004 Mazda Rx-8 (6 speed) - stock
eviilboy
όber TO Member

Mood: SLOW4DR

[*] posted on 13-2-2006 at 02:44 PM

Things to remember:

To setup and tool for a new carbon fiber hood that's only going for a "run" is very expensive. The reason the civic carbon fiber hood is much cheaper than your guy's will be is because there is constant demand for it.. rather than every now and then.

Also, you'll want to make sure whoever builds this hood is a very good builder of cf components... I've seen cheaply built cf hoods that after one year in the sun and elements look like complete ass...

You get what you pay for, remember that.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -- Benjamin Franklin
 Pages:  1    3  ..  50

Go To Top