Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: swaybar endlinks and how their length affects handling
ugabuga
TO Patron

[*] posted on 25-12-2005 at 12:07 PM

this is good stuff. someone should sticky it!

2004 Mazda Rx-8 (6 speed) - stock
Tercel GTS
TO Crew

Mood: my MR2 sucks

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 03:00 PM

The guys on the Starlet board have came up with a new rear swaybar design, personally I can't see it doing much good though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear-Anti-Roll-Bar-For-EP82-91-71-Gl...

スターレット
estabon23
TO Crew

Mood: mum is the word

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 04:00 PM

checking it out, i'm not sure...
the endlinks are mounted in the front w/endlinks attached @ the pivot point of the rear trailing arms...-duh-
so i don't see much tortional effect... that could easily be reconfigured to the rear w/ longer endlinks...-eureka--deal-
it's good that a different "bar" is available...

also noticed...
if anyone can zoom/enhance that pic...
the owner of that starlet has made a custom DIY adjustable panhard bar... anyone with a welder, four 5/8" or 3/4" nuts, washers & a 6" length of 5/8" or 3/4" threaded bolt/rod can make their own... -coolguy--eureka--deal-

--- steven

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by estabon23]

nothing is true, everything is permissible...
Qballcious
TO Crew

Mood: Gonna have a garage soon!

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:06 PM

Well since the rear axle has the trailing arms welded to the axle, it basically acts a swaybar already from factory. Just not a very stiff one. THey basically mated another swaybar to the same side. It would work just aswell as if it were turned towards the back of the car. As long as the length of the "legs" were the same there should be no difference between forward/reverse mounted swaybars.

1998 Toyota Tercel CE, 2dr 5-speed \"Touring Edition\" ???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photobucket
djsilent
TO Crew

Mood: tercelclub.org

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Qballcious
Well since the rear axle has the trailing arms welded to the axle, it basically acts a swaybar already from factory. Just not a very stiff one. THey basically mated another swaybar to the same side. It would work just aswell as if it were turned towards the back of the car. As long as the length of the "legs" were the same there should be no difference between forward/reverse mounted swaybars.

I see what you're saying, but it seems like putting it backwards would do more than forward to me. With it backward, you are creating more of an "][" shape where if you put the bar alongside the trailing arms it is just a stronger "]" shape. I don't know how you could figure it out with math, but it just feels like it would do more good in my head.

http://www.shawnmarsh.com - My metalshaping work.
Qballcious
TO Crew

Mood: Gonna have a garage soon!

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djsilent
Quote:
Originally posted by Qballcious

I see what you're saying, but it seems like putting it backwards would do more than forward to me. With it backward, you are creating more of an "][" shape where if you put the bar alongside the trailing arms it is just a stronger "]" shape. I don't know how you could figure it out with math, but it just feels like it would do more good in my head.

The ][ shape doesn't make it any stiffer. Not in any direction. Since all the mounting points are sloppy or "bushinged".

1998 Toyota Tercel CE, 2dr 5-speed \"Touring Edition\" ???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photobucket
ugabuga
TO Patron

[*] posted on 20-10-2006 at 08:12 AM

if u read the thread u'd understand that it doesnt matter, as long as they are equally long.

2004 Mazda Rx-8 (6 speed) - stock
KARR95
TO Member

Mood: I could go for a chicken parm...

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 07:53 AM

This past weekend I put in the 22mm Whiteline Sway Bar, all I can say is wow. The car seems a little more stable at highway speeds and does not roll as bad in the corners. Well worth the $.

2008 F150 STX 4.6L V8
1995 Tercel Coupe
turbo confustion
TO Member

Mood: turbo

[*] posted on 16-9-2012 at 02:11 PM
sway bar end links cheap

I see Princess auto has some surplus end link and frame side polyurethane bushings on sale 4.99 a set.In Kelowna at any rate.Unfortunately the smallest diameter frame side sway bar bushings are 22mm[7/8"]not 19mm[3/4"] like the stock bar.I ended up making some copper spacers seems to work well.What the heck 10 bucks Canadian plus tax cheap.p.s.I had to cut one end link spacer in half and used the cut pieces for both end links, stock spacer lenth is 25mm [1"].
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top