Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: somebody beefed my tercel before I got to it!
schmooot
TO Newbie

Mood: meh

[*] posted on 30-7-2004 at 11:01 PM
somebody beefed my tercel before I got to it!

OK so I've got an 86 and I've owned plenty of 83-86 tercels before (at least 5) and my dad has also owned many as well. The thing is I bought this one, 3A of course, and it goes like nothing I've ever driven. 52 horsepower my ass, I can lay at least ten feet of rubber when pulling out and I can chirp the tires when I drop the clutch while upshifting into second. No BS I can't figure it out. Now I know little vacuum lines on the carb and one notch on the timing can do some crazy things to performance but I've never seen anything like this. At first I suspected the carb but I've since changed it out and alls the same, so I am guessing the engine has been torn apart and beefed up at one point. Any input? what the hell else could be the reason for this?
AnimeRacing
Senior TO Member

Mood: Nekomimi

[*] posted on 31-7-2004 at 07:59 PM
beef chief

I seriously doubt the car lays ten feet of rubber on the road. Chirping tires, maybe, but spinning small economy tires isn't much of a feat. Anyway, to your question, its possible a few things have been changed. For starters, the base power of a 3A-C was spec'd at 62hp. A timing advance to 20 degrees isnt out of the question, and while doing so puts a lot of wear and tear on the valvetrain, it also makes for a snappy performance increase. Removal or disabling emissions in the right way produces some modest gains, although if you own a 3A and not a 3A-C the emissions aren't present to begin with. Adjusting fuel settings away from the lean ratio would cause a performance boost as well, dumping fuel almost always adds power, at the expense of fuel economy. A higher flow muffler and/or exhaust system, even just a modern replacement, helps the engine take advantage of the available higher end power. It's also possible some headwork was done, and any cam grinding would boost performance up as well. The block may have been bored out as well, perhaps as a rebuild. After that, it's likely a matter of smaller tire diameter than stock causing a lower gearing, giving more power, at the cost of speed for a given rpm.

Also, there were variations of the 3A available in other countries, the 3A-U, 3A-LU, and 3A-SU made considerably more power than a 3A-C. These motors are now available as used import replacements, so its possible one of these found its way into the car, or even a 4A/4A-C. If you're sure its a 3A-C block and theres nothing special about the car, my guess is the timing/fuel was knocked out of whack and /or much smaller diameter tires are being used.

schmooot
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 09:06 PM

okay sorry maybe ten feet was an overstatement on my part but all in all, its not timing advance because I have had the distributor in and out a coupla times and reset the timing. Second I have put two or three different carbs on it so that isn't the culprit, stock tires, it is for sure the canadian 3A motor. Uhhh I guess one day I'll pull the valve cover off and lookie for a redone cam in there, other than that you got me. One more question, I checked out that website for the performance carb for this motor but it didn't have a price by it, anyone know off-hand what these go for?

AnimeRacing
Senior TO Member

Mood: Nekomimi

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 09:20 PM
carb garb

If the 4WD wagon pic is the car in question, that might explain things. If you're using the extra low gear instead of first to get the car moving, it can certainly chirp the tires with that gearing.
Theres also the possibility your other cars had 3A-C motors and the 3A is putting out more power, or the later gearing arrangement in the '86 is noticable to you if your other cars were earlier models with higher gearing. It's also just possible the motor is in better shape and making power the other cars lacked. If you've had all 4WD wagons, you should see what the 2WD versions can do.

Just because a cars tires look like the stock size doesn't mean they are. These cars had optional sizes that were slightly wider and smaller diameter than the 155/80R13s, and can make a small difference in acceleration.

I doubt you'll be able to tell if the cam is a regrind just by inspecting it on the motor. You'd really have to compare it to a stocker to be sure. I was just listing possibilities, so if the motor/head was never rebuilt, its probably just a stock cam.

The weber carb for these motors sells for around $400US, but its also possible to find it for about half price when used.

schmooot
TO Newbie

[*] posted on 10-8-2004 at 05:50 PM

haha no not the green machine that was just a winter beater that I did up to be funny. You'd be surprised how many people think I really believed that car was nice. I like it cuz its outrageous and people laugh.

Anyways no the car in question is an 86 hatch and I've owned and driven at least 8 in the last 5 years. None of them have pulled anywhere close to this one I was just wondering. And they ahve mostly all been 3A's and a couple had teh C but still not making that much of a difference. Maybe I just came across a freak of nature, I guess it was bound to happen with the vast number of tercels passing through my hands

CG
TO Newbie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2004 at 01:13 AM

Huh... I'm fairly new to the technical part of the Tercel world... Do they really only put out 50-60 horses? Knowing that, if you find out whats causing the power-gone-wild in yours, LET ME KNOW! hehe.

1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 Stationwagen 4x4 w/ E-Low gear 189,000 miles.
86terceldriver
TO Newbie

Mood: neutrel

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 08:59 AM

yes please let us know!

86' Tercel 150,000km, 65 Hp, 200w Sony Xplod :D
ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 86terceldriver  
yes please let us know!

Holy sheeit this thread has some serious cobwebs... Good luck on that answer.

:rotf:

Goat
AKA...silent_night88

Mood: chirkin it up

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 11:10 AM

you do realize this thread is from 04???
:screwy:

AKA --> Silent_Night88

http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=42786&page=1#pid47...

"People should not be afraid of their governments; Governments should be afraid of their people"

~EP91 4EFTE~Revva Harness~Tubular Intake Manifold~Custom Ram Intake~FMIC~HKS Style BOV~NRG AFPR~AC/PS ~Delete~NST Pullies~ClutchNet 6 Puck Solid Hub Clutch Disk~ClutchNet Stage 3 Pressure Plate~NGK Plugs and Wires~Speedvision Exhaust Manifold~HKS Adjustable Wastegate Actuator~Emange Blue~Paseo Brake Upgrade~SS Brake ~Lines~SS Clutch Line~Anti Lift Plates~Gutted Cat~Brass Shifter Bushings~Paseo Front Sway Bar~Speedvision Light Weight Cam Gear~

rainmaker9239
über TO Member

Mood: 25psi Coming Soon!

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 02:16 PM

I hope somebody lets 86terceldriver know

ChakaRaka
über TO Member

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rainmaker9239  
I hope somebody lets 86terceldriver know

I wonder where one sources this beef. I bet it is JDM beef though...how else could he do racecar burnouts? :dunno:

:haha:

Go To Top